Paph. armeniacum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPMC

Reaction score
Here's this year's first bloom. I could only find two more buds. I think that the plant is in a vegetative phase because there are lots of new growths over the past year and I suspect that that is why there are so few blooms this year. Last year this plant had 8 flowers.

Papharmediacumwholeplant04-11-10.jpg
[/IMG]

Papharmeniacumfirstflower04-11-10.jpg
[/IMG]

Vetative phase you say? I would tend to agree and I'd be very thrilled with that. Great plant and flower.

Holy armeniacum! Batman! That plant screems! How many years have you been growing this way?

Thanks. It's been in here since 2001. Prior to that it was in a pot and dying a slow death. Its stolons were sent into the bottom of the pot and died. It really perked up in a basket.

Here it is two years ago:

Papharmeniacum03-08wholeplanta.jpg
[/IMG]

WOW! That is the biggest,happiest specimen plant I've ever seen!
Is the basket lined and filled with spagnum?
Great growing!

That's a nice quality armeniacum flower.

Since you are not repotting on a regular basis, do you occasionally "top dress" with any supplements?

Bone meal or oyster shell?

Amazing! I've never seen one with so many flowers!

You have to give us more info on your culture. What size is the basket? What's in it? Does the plant live in the window year-round?

I remember you posting this plant before, and I think Ernie got it.....WOW :clap: Completely an awesome sight.

Eric, how much did you charge him for you camera? <poke>

That is stunning! The blooms and all the lush leaves. Thanks for sharing this again and reminding me.
I need to try it when my armeniacum is bigger. or should I do it now?!

Do you rotate the basket often?

WOW! That is the biggest,happiest specimen plant I've ever seen!
Is the basket lined and filled with spagnum?
Great growing!

Thanks.

It's a wire hemispherical basket lined with sphagnum and filled with regular paph mix (fine fir bark, perlite, and charcoal).

That's a nice quality armeniacum flower.

Since you are not repotting on a regular basis, do you occasionally "top dress" with any supplements?

Bone meal or oyster shell?

Thanks.

It gets about 1/4 teaspoon of lime pellets every 4 months.

Amazing! I've never seen one with so many flowers!

You have to give us more info on your culture. What size is the basket? What's in it? Does the plant live in the window year-round?

It lives in my spare bedroom all year round. I give it "cattleya light" temps. are 60F at night in the winter and 70F at night in the summer. During the day, it gets to about 75F in the winter and 85F in the summer. I fertilize "weakly weekly" and you can't give it too much water. NEVER dry it out (even in winter). Doing so will cause you to lose the flower buds.

The basket is 11 inches in diameter, made of wire, lined with sphagnum, and filled with paph mix (fine fir bark, perlite, charcoal).

That is stunning! The blooms and all the lush leaves. Thanks for sharing this again and reminding me.
I need to try it when my armeniacum is bigger. or should I do it now?!

Do you rotate the basket often?

Put the plant in now. I started with one growth in 2001. I don't repot it. The mix continually rots and falls out of the bottom. I top-dress every 2-3 years to replace the loss.

Back