Paph (Alma Gavaert x Tuxedo Junction) x Purple Velvet

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renegayde

Reaction score
I got some seedlings a while back from a vendor on e-bay......one of the seedlings was in a 2.5" pot and had two growths.....I had not yet repotted it and decided to do so the other day.....while repotting it I discovered that instead of a two growth seedling it appears to actually be two seperate seedlings...however I am wondering if the second smaller seedling is the same as the bigger seedling.......the smaller seedling had grown from VERY deep in the pot and appeared to be growing from what I would describe as a chunk sort of like a piece of a stem from another plant......should I label it the same as the large growth? I have included some photos

Todd

Attachments

• Paph Seedlings.JPG
    Paph Seedlings.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Paph Seedlings 1.JPG
    Paph Seedlings 1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Paph Smaller Seedling.JPG
    Paph Smaller Seedling.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 28
normally I would not think twice about it but the way the smaller growth had come from so deep in the pot makes me wonder where it would have started from......as the large growth was not that deep in the pot and the smaller growth was against the side of the pot and the large growth was more centered.......seeing if I have a pic of the seedling before I repotted it....here are a couple of pics of them growing together

Attachments

• Paph (Alma Gavaert x Tuxedo Junction) x Purple Velvet 1.JPG
    Paph (Alma Gavaert x Tuxedo Junction) x Purple Velvet 1.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Paph (Alma Gavaert x Tuxedo Junction) x Purple Velvet.JPG
    Paph (Alma Gavaert x Tuxedo Junction) x Purple Velvet.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 13
normally I would not think twice about it but the way the smaller growth had come from so deep in the pot makes me wonder where it would have started from......as the large growth was not that deep in the pot and the smaller growth was against the side of the pot and the large growth was more centered.......seeing if I have a pic of the seedling before I repotted it....here are a couple of pics of them growing together

Most likely just another smaller seedling that got buried in the potting proccess and took a while to grow to the surface. It's a survivor, give it some time and it will catch up with its bigger brother. Might be good breeding stock.

Maudiae crosses are notorious for throwing off shoots from deep down on the mother plant's structure. Creating these "loose" seedlings. Most likely a clone of the bigger one.

the "pot" the smaller seedling is in is a cup that is 2.25" w x 3" tall......the next size smaller "pot" that I have is 2" w x 2.25" tall.....I think I used the slightly taller one because the seedling was sort of tall and gangly after growing from so far down in the pot it shared with the larger seedling....I will unpot it tomorrow and see if it will go into the smaller pot.

Paphioboy....LOL I guess it was $1.99 well spent as far as the seedlings go....just have to wait for the blooming now I guess

Todd

Corbin....its a mix of Aussie Gold and KK Special Orchid Mix.....the KK Mix
Includes Coco Husk chips, Diatomite, Sponge-rock, and Charcoal. The Aussie Gold is Diatomite, Coir Fiber, Charcoal and Perlite....basically I just mix them together equal parts Aussie Gold and the KK Mix

Todd

Latest posts

Back