P. henryanum 'September' HCC/AOS :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in the Tulsa metro, so OKC was the judging center I was at!
Definitely considering going a lot more often now to check out the programs before judging and just to see what has been brought in. And there was a plant raffle before judging started - who's not a sucker for plant raffles? ;) My husband 'made' me get 5 tickets for $5, and I won a little mounted Den. loddigesii - not a Paph, but something interesting I would not have otherwise spent full price on to have shipped in :)

Took some more pics finally! Not fantastic, just better :p I can be tragically perfectionist in some areas, so I try to make sure and stop the madness now and then, so photography not being as big an interest of mine, there will occasionally be glare/focus issues/background not making it all the way to the corners, etc. :rollhappy:
First, the family shot of all the 'Bear' x 'hen Hung' I currently have in bloom: 'September' is the upper lefthand corner, next to it is the big beastie with just not quite as nice form, and the littles are down in front.

Close-up, front view of 'September' this year! This, and all other flowers have been open for a good month now, so this picture and the award were not just lucky days, this is the way the form stays :D For those interested, the flower on the left was the one judged - the one on the right has a slightly tilted staminode this year. I will try to keep checking the judging website to see when the actual award photo gets posted and link to that! The pics taken there were better!

'September' from the side. I actually like how the focus turned out on this one with the back flower in focus.

The largest plant with the largest and most numerous flowers. Sorry about the focus on this one, didn't go as planned and didn't want to set things back up again. Anyway, not a bad plant at all! This is it's first bloom, so I will Not complain if it keeps going at this pace! Just doesn't strike me as awardable due to the pouch being a little blotchy in coloring, and the extra size doesn't make up for the slightly less pleasing form & color I don't think.

And the Littles :p The one on the left just fell off of another larger plant this spring during repotting, so I won't judge its potential just yet. Smaller, form/proportion not outstanding, but still very cute and colorful! The parent plant has yet to bloom b/c silly me didn't check above it when moving it to a spot with enough headroom to bloom, and a big multi dripped into it and blasted the 2 buds! The other little guy is also cute and may or may not improve - it is one of the two 'runts' that came along with the ones I ordered, so it could still have some catching up to do or be genetically less vigorous. Focus was not so great here, but it gives the idea!

Very nice and I'm even more convinced now that I have to add this species to my collection in the near future.

I do really like henry's - lots of color, not much real estate :) So glad I was able to wait to find some really nice ones, and since I got them right out of compot I really didn't break the bank/plant - and only lost one little freebie. Paphioboy, how much warmer would you be growing them? They seem fairly warm growing to me, growing on the light shelf right above my multis. I do maybe push the multis a little low in the winter though, so maybe you don't get low enough in winter for henryanum?

Wow Mrs. Paph, all are great looking flowers! I must ask, did you take all four to judging or just the one? When I do go to judging I take everything that, to me, has even the slightess chance of being pulled. I have been shockingly surprise at what gets pulled and what I thought was a FCC! Lots of times they never match!

I only brought the one...big beastie was emphasizing the only flaw that the 'winner' IMO had...not overly large! I did debate back and forth for awhile, and obviously there are plenty of rulers at a judging, but ultimately decided not to bring an in the flesh example of larger henryanum bloom to put next to the one I liked best! I know that the score card has size weighted less heavily for Paphs, but people are human, so I was hoping to give the best one the best chance in this case! And in person you can see more of the mottling of the color on the pouch of the largest one - it's a bit of a pizza face and never would have been scored, at least not on this blooming :p The others are significantly smaller blooms, but placed in the foreground of the picture it makes them look a little closer in size. I'll definitely keep the score card around and re-evaluate them all in years to come, and measure to see if 'September' increases in size at all once the plant gets larger, since this is just the second blooming :)

PS, picture was taken indoors under what I assume was regular florescent lights, so it's nice quite on for color, the avatar pic was taken near a window and looks correct, on my PC anyway.

Back