P. henryanum 'September' HCC/AOS :)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mrs. Paph

Brought in the plant in my avatar photo for judging today and brought it home with an HCC! :clap: It's the first plant I've ever submitted to judging, so I was pleased that I was able to pick a winner and not drive all that way to just have it called cute :p Cute it is, but with very nice form and color, and spotting pattern :) I'll post more later, after I take some hopefully decent pictures of it from this year (last year's are in a thread here somewhere...) Here's a quick run-down of the stats though!
Three inflorecences - 2 open flowers and one bud, NS horizontal 8cm, vertical 6.5, dorsal 3.8 wide x 3.5 tall, so not the biggest (I have a sibbling of this plant that is bigger, but form and color saturation is not near as good), but I felt the form was nice enough to get consideration, so I'm happy to come away with a 77pt HCC after 10yrs of growing indoors on a limited budget! Got lots of compliments on it's culture too, so I was a happy camper! Will definitely have to try to make the drive out to judging more often, even if just to see the presentations and what others have brought in! It was an good day for a plant nerd :D My face is actually sore from talking more than usual and grinning like a fool, much like that smiley face LoL

Congratulation!!! The very first award is something very special!!!

Ok, so these are Not the pics I know everyone is hoping for, but I need to find the time to try to take proper pictures! For now, here's a couple quick shots! These are 'Bear' x 'hen Hung' seedlings if I forgot to mention that earlier!

All the henryanums I have in bloom right now! Little squirt on the left is a first bloom, came along as a freebie runt with the 5 just out of compot seedlings I got, so it may keep catching up and improving, or it it may be genetically that much less capable but could still find a happy home with someone from my local orchid society. Next one over is 'September' HCC! This is it's second time blooming :clap: Then a decent but smallish/not as nice form one that is a division of another larger plant - could improve since it just fell off the parent plant repotting this spring. Then the big beastie :p Not nearly as nice form and some uneven coloring on the pouch and not as nice a dorsal form/spotting, but it is Big and it's pumping out the blooms - it is a first bloom seedling! Maybe there is an award in it's future...for culture rather than flower quality? There's only a couple seedlings left that haven't bloomed yet, but overall I am more than thrilled with what I got! These are from Paphiness, and in response to a want post I did here, and he sure did come through since I believe I said I was looking for potential for breeding quality! :drool: Planning to store some 'September' pollen, so will have to check old posts here for storage strategies!

Here's a quick shot of the pot too, showing the moss I encourage to grow along the walls of the pot. I just move up the little sheets of moss into the new pot when I find any growing in the pots, so this is what it looks like after a couple years of growth in the same size pot, just fresh new media in the interior.

Thank you for your patience with getting better closeup pics of the awarded one! I'm hoping to have a link to post soon to the judging pictures too - last months awards and photos were posted when I looked a week before judging, so hopefully they're usually quick about that. I did see the award photos on the projector screen before I left, so I know they turned out better than what I can probably take :eek:
~Val

What an exciting thing! The little avatar pic looks great, though pretty small to imagine detail...If this #3 is the plant that won, I too am going to congratulate your culture! A splendidly healthy plant!

Back