Oriental Cymbidiums at the Tokyo Dome Show!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

neo-guy

These are pictures of the many Cymbidium species exhibited at the Tokyo Dome show.
This was definitely heaven for those who love the Cym. goeringii varieties.
Also in this set were many variegated species.

The below are 3 examples of Cym. goeringii varieties:

3299963819_483882ec2e.jpg

3299955525_5d95523e50.jpg

3300761832_5bcdfa966f.jpg

For more pictures in the set, please click link here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157614297119054/

Enjoy!
Peter T.

Amazing!!!!! Nice variegated foliage... !!! Are these easy to grow??? What do they need!!! I am addicted now...:drool::drool::drool:

Nice photos from the show!!!

:drool: :clap: WOW - Somethin' else!
The variegation on that 3rd one is really different. The Sedirea is gorgeous - it reminds me of the variegated clivia I had. Goodyeara schlechtendaliana 'Sengo kin' is spectacular, I think I would have guessed it to be some kind of pothos!
Nice thread!

Amazing!!!!! Nice variegated foliage... !!! Are these easy to grow??? What do they need!!! I am addicted now...:drool::drool::drool:

Nice photos from the show!!!

I've heard these asian cymbidiums are not the easiest to grow... the variegated ones even more so due to the lack of chlorophyll.
Hold on tight as they are pretty expensive too! And that's if you can find them here in the US!
Usually you can find a few at the shows where the Taiwanese or a Japanese vendor might attend.

Peter T.

I had no idea about C. goeringii before coming to Japan and now it is one of my favorites. No, those plants you show are not cheap at all!

In terms of growing them, I've found that normal foliage varieties are not so difficult (in this climate, their homeland), but many of the colored flowers are difficult to bloom well. So, you end up with a nice plant and few or no flowers. I have one clone call 'fukunohikari' that has grown wonderfully for the last three years, but only set one bud in all that time and it rotted (this species sets buds in the fall and flowers in the spring, so it is necessary to be careful with them during the winter dormancy). Furthermore, to get good color these dormant buds have to be protected with a fabric hood to repress green coloration coming through. And so on...

I don't like the variegated look with Cymbids, so I've only tried a couple, and they do seem slower. Also, any blemishes show up worse on these, so they have to be grown very carefully. They are true debutantes!

If you want to try this one, I strongly suggest buying a typical green flowered form since they grow and flower easily under the correct conditions. Another one to try is 'hakuun', a pure white clone. It is a vigorous grower and flowers like mad. These plants are pretty cold tolerant, taking down to freezing and beyond in stride, but they also require a long, warm to hot growing season to prosper.

Tom ,the last one you suggested (green & white ones) sound like they will be ok to my climate!!!! If only I could find one!!! I have to do a research!!!LOL

Thnak you both for the info!!!!! :D

Are these fragrant?

Variable, but generally very fragrant. C. goeringii tends towards sweet scents, but can be floral as well. Some say that Japanese plants are less scented than Chinese ones, but I have a couple plain native green clones that smell lovely. Not much longer to wait either, they will be flowering by mid April!

KyushuCalanthe
Fuku no hikari (福の光)is a traditional orange flower variety and I would avoid this one. It is known that this particular variety is hard to bud, so you will have a bushy plant, but with little to no flower buds. This variety is well known for this problem (described in many Japanese books). In one of the books, it said that it is easier to bloom Fuku no Hikari with a smaller plant (3-5 mature growth) than a larger plant.

Latest posts

Back