Tokyo Dome continued; bring on the natives!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Now some Japanese stuff. Japanese orchids are not the big showy flowers we've all come to love and know as "orchids". As a rule they have an understated beauty, something that grows on you the longer you work with them. Also, presentation is a key element in displaying them - a Dixie cup won't do. Here are a few representative plants from the show.

Tis the season for Dendrobium moniliforme to flower. Actually, these are greenhouse grown, so they are flowering a month or more earlier than in nature. Selected clones such as these are called Chouseiran.

ChouseiranExS.jpg

ChouseiranYellow.jpg

What's a Japanese orchid show without at least a few Neos even if it isn't the flowering season? This 'Asahiden' caught my eye - a plant that large takes well over a decade to grow.

FukAsahiden.jpg

Another popular species to grow here is Cymbidium goeringii, called shunran in Japanese. These grow across southern Asia from China and Korea to Taiwan and much of Japan. The Chinese forms often are multifloral with lighter flowers and have a strong scent, while Japanese and Korean plants are more lightly fragrant and sport single flowers per stem. Colors range from greens, white, to true yellow, to orange and orange-red, and even wine purple. Multicolored flowers also exist.

This one has much rounder segments than most and look at that pot! Living art.

ShunranGoldFish.jpg

The winner of its class, this form known as 'Mebina', was a real show stopper. Such a pure orange red like that is rare and valued.

ShunranMebina.jpg

The Japanese love their terrestrials as much as the epiphytes. Here is the native Liparis makinoana, a very close relative of the North American L. lilifolia, so much so that some consider them varieties of the same species.

LiparisMakinoana.jpg

Finally, a very spotted leaf form of Phaius flavus. A plant with this much spotting would be expensive, at least $300, perhaps more. To the right you can see the normal form with green leaves. Variegation of any kind is highly valued in Japan.

PhaiusFlavusSpotS.jpg

Thanks for thes great pics Tom!!!! There is really a lot done for the presentation!!!! I like the pots and even if I am no Cymb. fan at all, those Cymbidium goeringii are superb!!!! Jean

Wow, presentation is everything, isn't it. The pots are beautiful, but they don't detract from the orchids at all, they enhance them. Amazing stuff.

:clap::clap: I LOVE seeing photos of the natives at Tokyo Dome. Reminds me of the photos in The Wild Orchid Journal magazine that I get shipped to me once month now from Japan.

Very lovely photos! I think I'll try my hand at growing a Dendrobium moniliforme. I'd think they should do nicely in my climate.

Mmmmm Japanese natives rock!

Yep, he does. I just saw them on Sat when I went in to buy a neo.

Did you ever find out what the name is for that awesome little Neo in the calendar? Does he have that one for sale? :drool:

Mmmmm Japanese natives rock!

Did you ever find out what the name is for that awesome little Neo in the calendar? Does he have that one for sale? :drool:
It's Kurohiyou. No, he does not have this one. You seriously want to pay $10,000+ plus for a neo??:p Hmm, you must not have any school loans. I don't think I can ever afford this one. Unless I win the lottery or join the Chinese mafia.

It's Kurohiyou. No, he does not have this one. You seriously want to pay $10,000+ plus for a neo??:p Hmm, you must not have any school loans. I don't think I can ever afford this one. Unless I win the lottery or join the Chinese mafia.

No, I don't want to pay $10K+ :rollhappy: but I like the plant a lot :drool: It will come down in price in a couple of years. $5K might not be unreasonable. :wink: Student loans are long-ago paid off. :p I like your idea about the mafia. We could start our own mafia :evil: -- smuggle long fiber sphagnum moss, neo pots and such. :poke:
:clap:
(thanks very much, btw, for finding out the name of it for me :D )

Back