orchids that tolerate and bloom in bright indirect light/low humidity

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy's and Gypsy GLen have Paph [species] that aren't 'common' to other growers. For more common species and hybrids there are plenty of vendors on this site, just go down the forum jump and a few other I have experience with Parkside, Piping Rock, Orchid Inn, Ratcliffe [in UK now :(] eBay vendors-Springwater, orchidtn, orchidsolo, etc. For Phrags you have to be carefull. There are 2 main groupings green/red. The older, green, long petalled ones can get enormous, although pearcei can bloom compact. Phrag caudatum and a couple are not as water demanding as the rest. The red family [from the 1981 introduction of Phrag besseae] are mostly smaller and are pubescent w/ shorter petals. They are mostly water-hogs. The best sources for those IMO are Piping Rock, Woodstream, Orchids Ltd, Orchidview, Ackers, Fox Valley, Orchidbabies, and a few others. Parasites and pests are part of the hobby and you have to have a pest removal aspect in your maintenance routine.

I suspect I'll always have my cases and houseplants scattered about but will gravitate back toward native hardy orchids. I'm pretty much a native plant community person but certainly love to surround myself with beauty in my home. Slippers are beautiful to me and so are the jewels orchids.
There are many foreign hardy orchids and others that are not from your region, Spiranthes cernau, etc. These might be fun for you to try also.

Parasites and pests are part of the hobby and you have to have a pest removal aspect in your maintenance routine.
Yucky pooey! I hate hitch hikers. You do realize I have no place to quarantine anything, right? What do you do when you get a new plant, drench it in Orthene out the gate and follow up in 10 days?

For Phrags you have to be carefull. There are 2 main groupings green/red. The older, green, long petalled ones can get enormous, although pearcei can bloom compact. Phrag caudatum and a couple are not as water demanding as the rest. The red family [from the 1981 introduction of Phrag besseae] are mostly smaller and are pubescent w/ shorter petals. They are mostly water-hogs.
Very much appreciated but TMI for right now. I'll have to check out all of what you typed thoroughly when I get back. We're really going to get to leave in a few hours. Flooding in the area has stopped now since the rains quit. Our phones were out for a bit and electricity was flickering there for a few days but all has passed now. I think we easily received 9" of rain in the past week. That's a lot of rain when it's been so dry here as of late. Goldenrose probably got hammered too because she's only an hour or so away from me. Lots of localized flooding in the area.

I'll try just about anything inside my house where it can't escape cultivation. I'm not so adventuresome outside and only have one non-native orchid out there bychoice and only because it was a gift. I dead headed it out of fear it might go someplace other than where I had it planted. I have Spiranthes cernua var. odorata (S. odorata) outside right now and it's doing great but that particular plant is a native to North America although not to my State. I've also got Calopogon spp. here that are fine and a few others but they're all natives to my State and to my specific County. Soon I will have some Cyps. I think I need to hold on all orchids for outside until I get some experience under my belt with the Cyp I am getting real soon and the two other cyps coming to me next spring. Next year I will probably order reginae, kentuckiense, and parviflorum. Baby steps.

You will be in phrag heaven at Ackers!
Gee thanks Rose, just what I wanted to hear- not. I presume you have a full understanding of what Eric typed? When we go to Ackers will you help me pick a Phragmipedium caudatum and two others in Eric's category of "The red family [from the 1981 introduction of Phrag besseae] are mostly smaller and are pubescent w/ shorter petals"? I only want to buy three to try. Please protect me from myself. I don't want to fall into the category of being the fool soon separated from her money and I looked at photos of phrags online last night and was so mesmerized by the photos I had to wipe the saliva from my mouth with the sleeve of my bathrobe. This is not a good sign. Not a good sign at all.

My one kid does that too when he's concentrating intently on something. Only difference is that he just lets the spittle fall out of his mouth.

I can't allow myself to get addicted. It's not like I can afford to build an addition on the house for plants and then there are these life forms called children to be factored in too. Goldenrose and Grandma M will help me work within my space and budgetary limitations.

Time for me to take off with the kids. Back after Labor Day unless something major happens down here. Here's hoping all of you have a great end of summer!

You should definitely grow Bletilla outdoors. I have been growing mine for nearly 20 years, in NYC (Z7, but they will go lower...its worth a try). I know you don't want to use non-natives outdoors, but the only growth B. striata makes is vegetative and contained...you will have to divide it eventually, but it will not stray beyond its planting area. While mine produces seed pods every year, there have never been any seedlings...and again, this is in nearly 20 years of growing. Take care, Eric

Latest posts

Back