Orchids outside in San Diego

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jimsox

I MADE IT SAFELY AND MY ORCHIDS MADE IT THROUGH THE AGRICULTURE CHECKPOINTS!!!! I will update on the relationship and goings on later....first things first...make sure my 'Chids are safe and happy!!!!:rollhappy:

Hey everyone, does anyone here grow their orchids outside in California? I have had mine outside in a well shaded area and they seem to be ok. This has only been for a few days....3 to be exact. Is there anything I should know, do, or look for to ensure proper growth. They are outside with no direct sunlight except for maybe 25 min. in the evening right before sunset. Could I build a small shade house? Which direction should they be facing? I have Paphs, Phrags, Phals, and a couple Catts. If anyone could help, please do so. Thanks in advance Jimi

Congrats Jimmy, you have moved to one of few places in the US where it is possible to grow tropical orchids outside. Building a shade house sounds good - I'd go for a southeast exposure if possible. The only problem you will have is figuring out when and how much to water. I'm guessing humidity will be at a bare minimum most of the year, so that will also be a major consideration. Good luck!

Humidity will definately be a problem, but there are also many ways you can solve it (trays, wet surface underneath the plants etc)!! Good luck with your new set up!

Try to meet Marilyn Levy. She is a orchid judge in the san diego area. A class act.

Back