Orchids at Tenman's

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo Schordje

wilted blossom
Reaction score
Had the pleasure to visit fellow forum member Tenman. He has a really nice, well thought out greenhouse that he built himself last year. I took a couple pictures of his plants. Most of his Paphs that were in bloom were away at a show, but there were still a few really nice orchds to see. We did a little plant trade, I will be posting my acquisitions as they come into bloom. :wink:
Thanks Tenman

First was a beautiful 4N Sophronitis coccinea.

soph-coccineaTennis.jpg

The classic Laelia anceps hybrid LC Santa Barbara Sunset 'Showtime' HCC/AOS still a young plant, but it is a delightful show.

santa-barbara-sunset.jpg

Here is a shot of the greenhouse. Tenman really did a solid construction job, he used triple wall polycarbonate for glazing. Nicely done. Two separate heating systems, the lower one is a southern burner and is set up so that it can run without electricity. I made a few notes for myself in the event I ever try to build a greenhouse.

DSCN2797.jpg

Oh... lots of pants!!! Great!

(There is a small gap there that a plant could easily fit..... :p)

:drool::drool: Tell us more about the southern burner running on no electric!

Looks like a great greenhouse!! Thanks for the peak!
Love the LC Santa Barbara Sunset!!

Very nice, Tenman! When am I going to get invited to visit your greenhouse? :p

:drool::drool: Tell us more about the southern burner running on no electric!

The 25000BTU souhtern burner barely visible on the bottom of the black metal heater rack, sits a couple feet below the main 35000btu forced air gas heater, and is set 5 degreesF lower than the main one. Should the top furnace stop working or the electricity go off, it will come on and prevent the GH from getting too cold. It uses a piezoelectric circuit which is powered solely by the pilot, standard for those burners. No blower on it, but still a useful thing when the power is out. I got it in a trade, new though a couple years old, unused, along with a couple of the commercial grade fans like the one in the pic, a crapload of shadecloth, and a nice besseae, about 5 years ago - I traded an extra (new) evap cooler and some paphs to Rob Halgren in that trade.

Very nice, Tenman! When am I going to get invited to visit your greenhouse? :p

Wei, you know you are always welcome should you be in this country! Speaking of which, when will that be?

Thanks for the nice remarks, everyone. Leo had seen my overcrowded growrooms on a previous trip a few years back prior to the building of the GH. I am always happy to show off the GH, a true labor of love - stress the LABOR part!

Back