Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with you on the benefits of greenhouses but on the flip side, things are more likely to go wrong too. Pests and rots are less likely to happen inside the house.
That is a fair valuation!

I grow all my plants here at home indoors with fluorescent sunblasters and they seem to do ok to get recognition on here and at shows/judgings.

But the same plants in GH do seem to produce larger and more flowers. Nothing can beat natural light.

Conclusion? Indoors still works for many of us with no GH lol. But if you can get a GH, it’s definitely better.

To Linus_Cello. Thanks! Ou nou, should have realiced that. 🙄 I've sometimes said, that it would be good if one could plug in the brains from time to time, and update them like eg. a PC. Maybe it would help. 😁

A Danish very good grower and seller and hybridizer Hans Christiansen said, when I talked about growing my orchids now indoors, that it's actually good. Less risk for fungus and especially less risk for bacterial attacks and many other perks. It's also easier, cheaper and less work than indoors.
When it's warm enough in Summer, I take my orchids outside. I still have the greenhouse, that was bought for them. But here in the winter time you have to have good covers outside around and over the greenhouse, and light, heating and so on costs money. Then you always have to go there especially to take care of them. It's good place to grow, but they can grow well indoors also. And as I said, it's easier, and cheaper, and more comfortable.

Three petals or three pouches?

Ha you tell me :) This is from the cross 'Sam's Choice' x 'MM Best'. I have bloomed out a few these, some multiple times. They all have nice dark flowers, but tend to have some degree of peloricism even after multiple bloomings.

Here is one of the nicer ones from this cross on its first blooming. It might actually be the same plant, but no idea really. I haven't kept track.

If that flower had a caption, it would read : "Found while making braces out of tin foil next to a garbage can. A little needy, attention deficit."

It looks to me Justin, from what I can tell from the picture, that there are two petals, at least two, maybe three pouches, and two or more dorsal sepals. The other one looks great!
Tony, can you tell me what you called a `monstrosity` is? It has beautifully mottled leaves. Why a monstrosity? It doesn`t look that to me. A P. Delophyllym, perhaps?

It looks to me Justin, from what I can tell from the picture, that there are two petals, at least two, maybe three pouches, and two or more dorsal sepals. The other one looks great!
Tony, can you tell me what you called a `monstrosity` is? It has beautifully mottled leaves. Why a monstrosity? It doesn`t look that to me. A P. Delophyllym, perhaps?
Fanaticum, it is blooming normally this year.

The sanderianum is looking good. I am watering the roots daily, and have a cool mist humidifier pointed at the plant in the daytime, but with it being January and RH in the indoor grow area only around 50%, I am not expecting to set any record for petal length.

If I recall, this plant is from 'Long Hair' x 'Penan' from Orchid Zone. It hung around as a chunky little seedling for about 10 years, and then last summer the whole plant suddenly doubled in size before flowering. It is very easy to tell when sanderianum is going to spike because the neck of the plant will visibly elongate.

Last edited:
Back