Orchids 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of exciting things to look forward to. Can't wait to see the sanderianum and the roth 'Canadian Club' in particular. Where did you get the roth division from? Sam?

Justin, you have an amazing collection and very healthy plants! Look forward to seeing some of the flowers, especially the roth side by side.

I'm curious about your comment about slower growth in doors vs greenhouse. Why do you think that is? I just started growing indoor lights a few years ago but don't have enough experience to tell if slower or faster. I use the similar bulbs on the racks and a 600w led in the middle for my larger ones.

I do notice a difference in leaf color between roths even in similar conditions. I have a theory that darker green foliage equals darker color flowers, but that's just a theory.

A lot of exciting things to look forward to. Can't wait to see the sanderianum and the roth 'Canadian Club' in particular. Where did you get the roth division from? Sam?

My division of CC is from Lien, who imported it from Tokyo Orchid Nursery a long time back.

Justin, you have an amazing collection and very healthy plants! Look forward to seeing some of the flowers, especially the roth side by side.

I'm curious about your comment about slower growth in doors vs greenhouse. Why do you think that is? I just started growing indoor lights a few years ago but don't have enough experience to tell if slower or faster. I use the similar bulbs on the racks and a 600w led in the middle for my larger ones.

I do notice a difference in leaf color between roths even in similar conditions. I have a theory that darker green foliage equals darker color flowers, but that's just a theory.

Greenhouse vs. indoors is no contest.

For Paphs in particular, plant growth and flower quality are very dependent on environment. If you grew these plants in their preferred conditions indoors you would have mold dripping down your walls. So it is always a compromise.

My division of CC is from Lien, who imported it from Tokyo Orchid Nursery a long time back.

Yes, I remember Lien posting a photo when it first flowered. I think the plant was weak, so it wasn't a great flowering. Your plant looks really strong, so I am looking forward to seeing it in flower.

When Spjur did talk about roth color, I rememberd a Lc. Mini Purple (L. pumila v. coerulea x C. walkeriana v. alba) I had many years. It grew almost constantly several new grothts, and in winter the flower colors were always little paler. Summer time the flowers colors were always much darker. Still the flowers were always beautiful and at that time, there were no LED Lights yet.
Also, have'nt experts said, that more light makes stronger flower colors or was it the other way around 🤔🙃

Hello again, I forgot to mention that, when red is one of my favourite colors, I probably still think that Phragh Memoria Dick Clements is one of the best form and color. It's my favourite. Of cause in these new hybrid plants, there are certainly many plants worth trying. Blood red is just so beautiful!

When Spjur did talk about roth color, I rememberd a Lc. Mini Purple (L. pumila v. coerulea x C. walkeriana v. alba) I had many years. It grew almost constantly several new grothts, and in winter the flower colors were always little paler. Summer time the flowers colors were always much darker. Still the flowers were always beautiful and at that time, there were no LED Lights yet.
Also, have'nt experts said, that more light makes stronger flower colors or was it the other way around 🤔🙃

There is a known link between lower temperature and higher production of plant anthocyanins. So cooler temps should mean more color in flowers.

Greenhouse vs. indoors is no contest.
Totally agree with you, Justin. You can tell the differences from the results...
While some may say light is light and the plants won't know the differences...I think that it is totally BS from some indoor light growers...Natural light is better than artificial light for plants, and the temperature differentials are far easier to achieve in GH... The above opinion is based on my experiences with both cultures and I am not saying you can't grow them under artificial lights.

BTW, you have a nice group of plants there. Can't wait to see your update on your sanderianum. It took me 12 years? to bloom my sanderianum from a seedling I bought just out of a flask...it does take a long time to bloom this species(pure breed).

Last edited:
very good flower count for the first bloom...looking forward to the next update for your sanderianum.

Back