Orchid Room

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, how do you drain water?
I see that the pots are sitting above the tray, and the tray can only take so much water.
Do you take all the pots out, take the tray out to dump the water? or somehow tray has some tube attached to them for automatic drainage?

By the way, how do you drain water?
I see that the pots are sitting above the tray, and the tray can only take so much water.
Do you take all the pots out, take the tray out to dump the water? or somehow tray has some tube attached to them for automatic drainage?

the plants are all in slotted trays nested in closed trays. i just take the trays to the porch or kitchen sink to water and drain for a minute before putting them back. if i were smart i would have drainage, or another option is to pump out water with a shop vac.

originally i would water in place and the trays under the eggcrate would catch the water. but eventually they would leak so now they just catch any drops.

That's a nice home setup. :clap: I used to have my menagerie on something like that....until hubby thought they'd look better in the basement. The good thing though was that he built me an indoor greenhouse grow room.....with HID lights, fans and humidifiers. Keep working on your wife and maybe she'll cave and let you build one. :)

the plants are all in slotted trays nested in closed trays. i just take the trays to the porch or kitchen sink to water and drain for a minute before putting them back. if i were smart i would have drainage, or another option is to pump out water with a shop vac.

Thanks for the answer.
Watering is always the big pain of growing indoor for me.
For now, I grow by the window.

I always pay close attention to light setup because eventually sometime in the future when I move, I will have to switch to light setup as I won't have large south windows anymore. :(

Plus, I will be old, so I need to figure out a way to spend less energy to water and drain.

Nice set up and very clean. My grow space is highly limited and i get heat from my better half as well. I keep getting the "you better not turn this place into a jungle" when she sees me looking at plants online.

Back