Ocean of Phrag. kovachii's!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know you're joking, right?! :eek:
No, I am not joking. I know this for a fact. I would not for a moment think that the honest Peruvian vendors went back and collected more than they were allowed.

I don't quite understand why people are questioning the legality of Alfredo Manrique's plants. Robert started this thread with photos of OL's mature, and now flowering seedlings. OL purchased their flasks from the other Peruvian vendor, Peruflora -- there were threads about this early on Slippertalk. If OL's seedlings are now flowering size, why is it not possible that Manrique's plants are mature as well?

When I said they must have been sold before I got there, I meant just that. I have a nice seedling, but the larger ones, i.e., like the photo link -- at least I didn't see when I was there.

I just received an email from Mr. Manrique through a mutual friend this morning. Here are his words:

"Some one is saying that I sold wild collected Pk plants at Redland this year. That is untrue, those sold were well cultivated three year old seedlings.
Divisions grow totally different, as the old rizome does not allow the growths to be that close
The picture shown is of a seedling not a mature plant"

I do want to make another observation that maybe Robert can verify. I see on the OL website that the kovachii plants they are selling are from 'Laura' x 'Anna'. When I got a flask from Glen Decker, who purchased his flasks from Alfredo Manrique, those were also the clonal names of the parents. So OL's first purchase of kovachii plants from Peruflora must not have made it (nor did mine :sob:), and then they must have gotten this group of plants from Alfredo Manrique (directly or indirectly). So double the reason why I don't understand anyone thinking Manrique's Redland plants are illegal or wild collected.

Roth, I hope your earlier statment about people being "heavily cheated by the seller" was not referring to Alfredo Manrique. That would be an ill-founded and entirely incorrect accusation. I suggest that if you want to be accusatory, you ought to name names, because otherwise, people make assumptions which can certainly besmirch innocent reputations.

Not propagated, but at least well precultivated... I had plants of both Manrique and Arias in the hands at a point, and clearly they were wild, established plants, no way they could be seedlings. All have an old rhizome with many previously bloomed growths. Manrique plants were grown much better however.

I have visited Manriques nursery many times and eI have friends that live in Lima that have purchased kovachii from Manrique and they were only able to purchase small seedlings even though they would gladly have paid for large plants. He does not have wild collected divisions for sale.

weren't some of the initial flasks sold as kovachii actually kovachii crosses?
i thought Chuck Acker got burned by the same dude

I do want to make another observation that maybe Robert can verify. I see on the OL website that the kovachii plants they are selling are from 'Laura' x 'Anna'. When I got a flask from Glen Decker, who purchased his flasks from Alfredo Manrique, those were also the clonal names of the parents. So OL's first purchase of kovachii plants from Peruflora must not have made it (nor did mine :sob:), and then they must have gotten this group of plants from Alfredo Manrique (directly or indirectly). So double the reason why I don't understand anyone thinking Manrique's Redland plants are illegal or wild collected.

Roth, I hope your earlier statment about people being "heavily cheated by the seller" was not referring to Alfredo Manrique. That would be an ill-founded and entirely incorrect accusation. I suggest that if you want to be accusatory, you ought to name names, because otherwise, people make assumptions which can certainly besmirch innocent reputations.

Dot,
Yes the 'Laura' x 'Anna' plants originated from Glen Decker. And to answer your other question, the ones from Peruflora did make it. Our very first kovachii ('Tesoro Morado') of which I posted a picture earlier was from Peruflora (and was from the cross 'Maximus' x 'Goliath'); we just don't have them listed for sale, as the crosses from Peruflora are sold out (We have kept some of the larger plants for our own breeding purposes). The plants in the pictures I posted in this post (Ocean of kovachii's) are a combination of seedling plants originating from Peruflora and Glen Decker.

Robert

Thanks, Robert!

Just curious: The kovachii photo you posted in your Capture Minnesota thread -- which parents produced that spectacular flower? (If you want that known.) Or is that photo the one you meant when you said, "...of which I posted a picture earlier" ?

Thanks, Robert!

Just curious: The kovachii photo you posted in your Capture Minnesota thread -- which parents produced that spectacular flower? (If you want that known.) Or is that photo the one you meant when you said, "...of which I posted a picture earlier" ?

That was 'Tesoro Morado' so a cross of 'Maximus' x 'Goliath'

PS. I am starting a new post with an update, and with new pictures..

Latest posts

Back