No more Neofinetia, now Vanda

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNA sequencing is becoming more and more automated. Computing power is increasing. Whole genome sequencing is becoming feasible, slowly. Right now whole genome sequencing is too expensive, it is only being used for economic species that can get the funding, such as humans, some crops and other big grant applications. But in the not too distant future, it won't cost much to let a researcher with a robot in the lab, do whole genome sequencing. Then I wager, many of the classical taxonomic names that had been discarded based on single gene or short sequence analysis will be resurected. And Laelias and Neofinettia will be back!

Oncidesa Sweet Sugar...oh that's what that is now. See, now I will know what I am refusing to buy because I don't know what it is!

Oh! wonderful, how is any new or established orchid grower going to research these orchids with their new names if they don't know what the old one was ??
I asked this question elsewhere,
What's the chances of Sarcochilus & Phalaenopsis etc being changed as they are all Vandaceous & interbreed. Someone will find a link somewhere.

If this copies properly, here is the response I received from Julian, RHS Registrar.
Hello Roy

Thank you for your e-mail query.

Yes, there are many changes being made in this group as preparation for the publication of Genera Orchidacearum vol. 6.
However, the RHS waits until after the volume is published and then makes the changes collectively rather than piecemeal.
Hence while I am aware of some of these changes I am continuing to use the old names in the register for now (until late 2013 /early 2014 probably.)

The main reason for this is that implementing these changes will require the establishment of many new hybrid generic names. These names are dependant of each of their component genera, so that if one generic component changes name, the hybrid generic name also has to be changed. If I change everything containing Neofinetia now to its Vanda equivalent, many of these names will have to be changed a second or third time when the other components change. So it is better to wait until one knows what all the changes will be then change everything together once.

Fortunately this is the last volume of GO.

As for asking the opinion of the Japanese, there are Japanese members on the Advisory Panel, and their view point will be taken into consideration. So far, I do not know what their reaction is to Neofinetia.

Best wishes
Julian.

Didn't you hear? They are all now Oncidium Alliance!!! ROFL, just kidding.... Sorry, bad joke....

...As for asking the opinion of the Japanese, there are Japanese members on the Advisory Panel, and their view point will be taken into consideration. So far, I do not know what their reaction is to Neofinetia.

Best wishes
Julian.

I'll bet they won't care in the least since they never use the Latin name anyway. This species will remain in their eyes to be fuuran or fuukiran - nothing lost.

Kind of nice to see this thread come up again. I, like most, have found it difficult to keep up with what my plants real names are - actually I don't. I am deleting the RHS comment I originally made - just up in the air on them. The only names that truly need changing are the species. Fine, let that be that. But do not change the accepted designation of the hybrids. This would surely aid in the identifying of hybrids, and must surely help the orchid industry.

For example - I use all make believe names here! I cross Laelia tallish with Cattleya shortish. Under the rules that have existed for quite some time and registered as Lc Ish - a success by the way garnering a FCC/AOS in 1975. For more than 30 years this plant has had success both in breeding and financially.

But what if the RHS said ok. Let's rename the species, but let's keep the accepted name. So, Lc Ish, under new and improved species designation we find it is C tallish x C shortish (that was Wednesday. Monday it was Soph. shortish and by Thursday they think it may change again). The species can be changed as often as possible without the loss of hybrid names and identity. It will continue to be labeled Lc Ish and all offspring will continue with 'old' rules of horticulture. Might this aid in keeping millions of hybrids from being lost, NOID, plants?

Otherwise, with species name changes, there are now three Cattley Ish plants out there since the change (Goodness! Sounds like menopause!). And while everyone says, oh, it has the synonym name to help....NOOOOO!!! Not so folks! After the 'new name' is given, the next generation will not have the synonym. It is now gone. And another NOID is born.

Maybe I view this as too simple. But surely some form of division between taxonomy and horticulture can be devised to keep orchids properly identified long term. The economic world is haphazard enough. I, for one, don't buy plants I have no idea what they are. I don't know what the bloom will be like unless the grower knows for sure (provided that is who I purchase it from) - by the way, C Ish will only bloom out in shades of green, and C Ish will only bloom out in shades of orange red. C Ish is on the fence as to what it will bloom out. Understand my meaning here?

Just my 2 cents here.

It's a big mess and not likely to clean up soon.

I think the problem with your system is that future breeding of species/hybrids with new changed names will be confusing when comparing with the same species/hybrids with the old names.

It's a big mess and not likely to clean up soon.

I think the problem with your system is that future breeding of species/hybrids with new changed names will be confusing when comparing with the same species/hybrids with the old names.

They are now! No two ways about it, it's a mess! I used to like going into the RHS and getting a little more info on my plants - good idea of what hybrids will bloom out as. Now it's a nightmare. How can it clean up? From a collector/growers standpoint, I just don't think I have the choices I once had as I am stymied by 'what is this?' labeling. Sad, very sad.

Latest posts

Back