Nishidemiyako gives birth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any photos of a big plant w/ lots of Manazurus and Nishidemiyakos?

I don't have any. Maybe Tom has snapped photos of one like this at a show. My Nishi looks much like Tom's except it has two Manazurus instead of one.

Ah, I went back and read what I missed. It was there all along. Duh!
It also looks as if a new growth is starting to the left of the closeup picture.

Indeed! It might be another Manazuru, too! :clap:

Zurui! I wanna Manazuru!

Are there any photos of a big plant w/ lots of Manazurus and Nishidemiyakos?

Eric, you are a pest, aren't you? Well it would be wonderful to have a plant with LOTS of Manazuru and Nishidemiyako as well...if this were are perfect world. Did a bit of searching on the web and here's a sample of pics I found.

The first pic on this page is Manazuru. The growth in front is Manazuru, the one behind is Nishidemiyako:

http://blog.goo.ne.jp/fuuranzannmai/c/f776e66c9a13e5ee08de3a9d1a2ad80f/1

Another Manazuru that has been separated from the mother plant - bad idea since it could easily die with just a single growth. Notice the white is mostly on the interior of the leaf blade instead of the margin. Also notice the increased purple of the petiole bases. Typical traits for this form. That said, not a very nice plant in its current state:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/benioogi8855/38638171.html?p=1&pm=l

The third set of pics down on this page is a nice division of Manazuru. This this the goal you want to achieve. Notice that some growths are quite green, while others are mostly white. The green parts can give enough strength to the whole plant to keep it going if it is carefully cared for.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hfmjr376/folder/1432208.html

Gosh, I really like the plant shown in that last set of example photos for which you gave us the link, Tom. Nice! :drool:

KyushuCalanthe

Very, very nice!!

I just got this baby. It is a lovely marginal variegated leaf form. I have one already, but this one has particularly nice variegation. The sticks are there to hold the main growth in position.

NishidemiyakoNew.jpg

On occasion this form will produce a reverse in the variegation pattern. Instead of being on the leaf margin, the yellow/white part will be in the middle with the green out on the margin. When a growth comes along like this it makes a different form called Manazuru. Here you can see one forming - Yippie!

NishidemiyakoManazuru.jpg

It will take another couple years for the Manazuru growth to attain adult size and then if in turn it puts out another growth, it likely will be another Manazuru. At some point in the future, say when the plant has 4 or so of these growths they can be detached from the main plant to grow on alone. I can't wait, it should only take another 10 years or so! :rollhappy::sob::rollhappy:

so, what if you pay big bucks for the expensive one and two years later all the new growths revert to the cheaper version? also, what if you bring the plant home and when you water it the first time, all the white stripes wash away leaving only green leaves behind? :crazy:

so, what if you pay big bucks for the expensive one and two years later all the new growths revert to the cheaper version?

Luck of the draw I suppose. Not likely actually. It is more likely to simply die. Many fuukiran forms came from others in a similar fashion, particularly the ones showing variegation. These by and large have proven to be stable.

also, what if you bring the plant home and when you water it the first time, all the white stripes wash away leaving only green leaves behind? :crazy:

Then you got stiffed and it's time to go kick some butt!

Great link Tom.
Point and clicked to the left brought me to alot of interesting Neos.
Some of the tigers...

Latest posts

Back