Nishidemiyako gives birth

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
I just got this baby. It is a lovely marginal variegated leaf form. I have one already, but this one has particularly nice variegation. The sticks are there to hold the main growth in position.

NishidemiyakoNew.jpg

On occasion this form will produce a reverse in the variegation pattern. Instead of being on the leaf margin, the yellow/white part will be in the middle with the green out on the margin. When a growth comes along like this it makes a different form called Manazuru. Here you can see one forming - Yippie!

NishidemiyakoManazuru.jpg

It will take another couple years for the Manazuru growth to attain adult size and then if in turn it puts out another growth, it likely will be another Manazuru. At some point in the future, say when the plant has 4 or so of these growths they can be detached from the main plant to grow on alone. I can't wait, it should only take another 10 years or so! :rollhappy::sob::rollhappy:

Ah yes, very nice! I have a Nishi with two Manazuru babies! :clap: :clap:

Sounds like a plan! :crazy: Oh, you Neo people! :poke:

But when you consider that a quality, blooming size Manazuru plant with two fans (one large and one small) currently sells in USA for roughly $750, it's not quite so crazy is it?! :poke: :p

Hmmmmm $750 x 2 - from 4 growth Manazuru = $1500/10 years = $150/year - Bernie Madoff type investment strategy! :poke:

Ah yes, but when one only pays $150 or less for the original Nishidemiyako plant, it's not such a bad investment after all, especially when one gets to enjoy the plant(s) for the duration of the ten year period and beyond! :p That's ten years of sweetly fragrant blooms on hot summer nights, awesome variegated foliage to brighten those dull winter days, bragging rights for a decade or more, and an all-consuming hobby to waste...errrr...spend one's time obsessing over as well. :rollhappy:

That's ten years of sweetly fragrant blooms on hot summer nights, awesome variegated foliage to brighten those dull winter days, bragging rights for a decade or more, and an all-consuming hobby to waste...errrr...spend one's time obsessing over as well. :rollhappy:

Addicted!

Is it just the photo angle, or is the varigation pattern different?
And if so, will it change to the mature pattern later, or is this a new pattern to watch?

Is it just the photo angle, or is the varigation pattern different?
And if so, will it change to the mature pattern later, or is this a new pattern to watch?

That's the point :wink: The keiki is a new pattern called Manazuru. With any luck, Tom's keiki will remain Manazuru as it matures. The parent is Nishidemiyako. Manazuru is worth much more when it comes to selling these plants. Personally I like the look of the variegation on Manazuru much better, but the Nishidemiyako plant has more vigor and is better at flowering. Some (but not all) owners of Nishidemiyako get lucky and get to have the best of both worlds! This is why I like my Nishidemiyako plant so very much! Mine happens to have two Manazuru babies. :drool: :clap:

Ah, I went back and read what I missed. It was there all along. Duh!
It also looks as if a new growth is starting to the left of the closeup picture.

Latest posts

Back