Nice Bloomers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Ah, the spring flowering season is here and many Japanese orchids are waking up and showing their stuff. A sampling from my garden.

The native Calanthe season has just really started, especially plants growing outside. It has been a cool spring, almost cold. The yellow one is the Taiwanese form of C. sieboldii (syn. C. striata) sometimes called C. kawakamiense. It is supposed to be bigger than the normal one, up to a meter tall, but mine isn't. It only flowers a bit earlier than the others. The flashy looking flower is a hybrid, by the looks of it mostly a C. x takane cross (discolor x sieboldii).

CalKawakamiense.jpg
TakaneSteven.jpg

Off the ground and into the trees. Next up is the tiny Gastrochilus matsuran. Those flowers are just 5 mm across. Getting uncommon these days in the wild due to habitat loss and to some extent, overcollecting. I found this one on the ground 5 years ago and it has been easy to grow so far.

GastroMatsuranFLSSM.jpg

A near relative is this Thrixspermum japonicum. A very common twig epiphyte frequently seen in cedar (Cryptomeria) plantation forests. Tough to grow long term unfortunately.

ThrixspermumFLSSM.jpg

Also just starting now is the native Dendrobium moniliforme. This one is aptly called 'kibana' - "yellow flower". Many more of these just coming into flower now.

DendMonilKibanaFLS.jpg
DenMonilKibanaSM.jpg

Finally, not a native, but lovely anyway, Dendrobium Stardust 'Firebird', in its natural hanging posture.

DendStardustPLT.jpg
DendStardustFLS.jpg

Lots more coming into flower soon, so stay posted.

Beautiful and some I've never seen before. THanks for the looks.

Now....where's Eric......bloomer alert!

Very nice bloomers, indeed! I like them all, but Thrixspermum japonicum and Gastrochilus matsuran are the most interesting:)

First of all, I'm eventually going to have to show you all what nice bloomers really look like! :evil:
Number two, what does "I found this one on the ground 5 years ago" mean? you were walking down the sidewalk and Voila!? :rolleyes: If so, I'm buying a ticket to Japan tonight.
Third, why can't we know how big yours is Tom!?:poke:
"It is supposed to be bigger than the normal one, up to a meter tall, but mine isn't."
Last, thanks for all the nice photos, I'm so jealous! :sob:

LOL.. Break out the toothpick Tom.. I got my order in for some seed...

Have fun at the Calanthe show tomorrow. Wish I was there with you to check them out.

Brett

Those are beautiful. Thanks for posting as most of these are not something I often (or ever) get to see.

Amazing garden you have, Tom! That Calanthes' lip is beyond wild. And you know I love the matsuran -- your plant is getting quite large (relatively speaking). My little plants are growing, but very slowly.

Back