Nice Bloomers!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad you all enjoyed these. Indeed, many you won't see outside of Japan except on the Japanese side of the internet.

Some responses.

Nice flowers...outdoor growing is a big luck!!!

Yes, this climate is really interesting, right on the edge of the subtropics and warm temperate climate which allows me to experiment with a wide range of plants. The D. Stardust wasn't grown outside though since it couldn't withstand the winter temps. D. nobile hybrids do fine here though.

First of all, I'm eventually going to have to show you all what nice bloomers really look like! :evil:
Number two, what does "I found this one on the ground 5 years ago" mean? you were walking down the sidewalk and Voila!? :rolleyes: If so, I'm buying a ticket to Japan tonight.
Third, why can't we know how big yours is Tom!?:poke:
"It is supposed to be bigger than the normal one, up to a meter tall, but mine isn't."
Last, thanks for all the nice photos, I'm so jealous! :sob:

Ah Eric, where to begin. I've seen many bloomers, and never really took to any of them :D The Gastrochlius was found on the forest floor in an old growth Cryptomeria grove near my home town. The Thrixspermum are more commonly found on downed branches during woods walks. The average size C. sieboldi stands around 18 inches tall when in flower. Currently I have a patch in flower that is around 2 feet high. Occasionally you see them growing close to 3 feet high.

LOL.. Break out the toothpick Tom.. I got my order in for some seed...

Have fun at the Calanthe show tomorrow. Wish I was there with you to check them out.

Brett

Brett, I just got back from the show. It was fun and in a really deep mountain valley - the true Japanese countryside. As usual I learned a lot talking to the growers there and even got a freebie plant. People are always floored that a foreigner actually even knows about Japanese orchids, let alone grows them.

Dot, keep up growing your G. matsuran. They flower at a very small size. There is a really cool pure green flowered form that I want to get a hold of this year too.

:clap::clap:Very beautiful blooms! Thanks for giving us a peak in your garden. Great growing!!

Ah Eric, where to begin. I've seen many bloomers, and never really took to any of them :D
Really!? freshman year at Vassar that's what I was trying to get as a major!

The Gastrochlius was found on the forest floor in an old growth Cryptomeria grove near my home town. The Thrixspermum are more commonly found on downed branches during woods walks.
Really!?! Nooooooo...:sob: So unfair!!

Latest posts

Back