News on Parkside Orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's sad to see another small commercial grower go out of business, especially one with a breeding program. There's no question the orchid business is changing; it's becoming a re-seller's market where more and more vendors are re-selling the same plants, and often from the same source. Those of us who have a relatively low sales volume and a breeding program focused on the latest trends are finding it hard to compete with the big box stores and eBay.

It's a terrible state of affairs. The fact that the big box stores cater to the common denominator and rarely have anything interesting for us orchid addicts makes it difficult for us. And it may be that there just aren't enough of us to keep folks like you, Tom, in business. Though I try...

It's a terrible state of affairs. The fact that the big box stores cater to the common denominator and rarely have anything interesting for us orchid addicts makes it difficult for us. And it may be that there just aren't enough of us to keep folks like you, Tom, in business. Though I try...

There are things that the "big Box" stores don't provide. Things such as service, variety, in some cases quality, and specialty services such as floral design services. Many of our clients, and customers, have become hooked on orchids now that we are available to help them. Truly, it's about knowing what works, keeping costs down, and keeping service and quality tip-top.

The orchid "industry" has gone through many changes over the years, yet it is still here. Everything is cyclical. Things will come back again, just like in fashion, and what is happening now will be a thing of the past. We roll with the punches, breed our own plants, and keep enough of what sells available. When we get clients into the greenhouse, by exposing them to all the different things we have besides phals., we often get people to try something new.

Thats off the topic of the thread, but we keep optimistic and try to fit a niche which the "Big Box" stores will never be able to fill.

My local Vons, Trader Joes, and Fresh and Easy sell floral arrangements from a local florist....

The new owners were great.Tom and John are somewhat there but the new owners are being well taught by the boys.They still have the same great quality orchids and supplies and more.They are bring back Parkfest this coming July 2013 and some vendors are starting to sign up.
I would like to wish the owners Good Luck ,and thank for keeping everything the same.

There are things that the "big Box" stores don't provide. Things such as service, variety, in some cases quality, and specialty services such as floral design services. Many of our clients, and customers, have become hooked on orchids now that we are available to help them. Truly, it's about knowing what works, keeping costs down, and keeping service and quality tip-top.

The orchid "industry" has gone through many changes over the years, yet it is still here. Everything is cyclical. Things will come back again, just like in fashion, and what is happening now will be a thing of the past. We roll with the punches, breed our own plants, and keep enough of what sells available. When we get clients into the greenhouse, by exposing them to all the different things we have besides phals., we often get people to try something new.

Thats off the topic of the thread, but we keep optimistic and try to fit a niche which the "Big Box" stores will never be able to fill.

I hope that the 'Big Box' stores will open up new opportunities to traditional growers and breeds buy stimulating interest in our hobby. I think the trick will be converting a few of those casual buyers into enthusiasts.
At recent local orchid society shows in Brisbane (Australia) public interest has gone gang busters. They have queues 20 people long when the plant sales areas open. There is literally nothing left in a few hours. I see that as an enormous opportunity to grow the hobby. My perception and observation is we aren't good at doing that.

Latest posts

Back