Newly Awarded

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With regards to the fuss, Glen Decker assured me that the plant was CITES approved and that he would provide all relevant paperwork. Now, I wasn't at the AOS Trustee meeting, but I know Glen and know he wouldn't sell illegal plants.

That being said, if AOS wants to strip me of the award, that's their decision. To me, the award will stand. As for the officers at Star Chamber (FWS), I'll just have to see.

With regards to the fuss, Glen Decker assured me that the plant was CITES approved and that he would provide all relevant paperwork. Now, I wasn't at the AOS Trustee meeting, but I know Glen and know he wouldn't sell illegal plants.

That being said, if AOS wants to strip me of the award, that's their decision. To me, the award will stand. As for the officers at Star Chamber (FWS), I'll just have to see.

The Chair of our Center, upon returning from the trustees meeting, said it is now okay to judge vietnamense and helenae and their hybrids, BUT ALL THINGS gigantifolium, tranlienianum, and hangianum are hands off- no questions. I agree that Glen is very reliable, but it is possible he was misled or the status of the giga parent has "changed" similar to Sam's problems.

Not like I agree with all this (I don't, and I thing this is a fabulous hybrid) just reporting.

The Chair of our Center, upon returning from the trustees meeting, said it is now okay to judge vietnamense and helenae and their hybrids, BUT ALL THINGS gigantifolium, tranlienianum, and hangianum are hands off- no questions. I agree that Glen is very reliable, but it is possible he was misled or the status of the giga parent has "changed" similar to Sam's problems.

Not like I agree with all this (I don't, and I thing this is a fabulous hybrid) just reporting.

This is an ongoing discussion, and Glen while he claims that gigantifolium was correctly imported, it seems that the USFW has hedged somewhat on this. Sam Tsui had a similar importation and they confiscated his plants but not the hybrids. Glen has CITES paperwork from Europe that is correct, but the U.S. interpretation needs a paper trail back to the country of origin, so it's sort of a catch-22.

The AOS JC meeting discussed this in some length, and the decision was an all or nothing approach. Either accept only the plants that a legally imported and their hybrids according to U.S. interpretation of the CITES law or dismiss all of the legalities and just judge the plants. The problem is that some offshore judging events are judging these plants, getting awards and then the AOS is forced to validate them in contradiction of U.S. laws. Not wanted to be placed in such a position, the logical decision is to create a rule where they are all awardable or none of them will be.

While I understand the decision due to a lack of clarity and the AOS doesn't want to be subject to any legal problems, my personal preference would have been for the opposite option. You do have to understand that this has been a big problem for judges and the folks processing the awards.

i love the plant and its a great hybrid in genenral, but what i know is in line with what ernie is saying. it will likely get nullified... but ya, you should consider it "awarded" for yourself, its like that guy who pitched the perfect game but didnt the other day.. he too should say he did it!

so sorry about the controversy BUT BE VERY PROUD - beautiful plant, so well grown & flowered!.
PS. you coulda put the cat on this thread, then I wouldn't have had to ask a dumb question! :eek: :p

Thanks for the clarification RE: AOS and judging. Such a shame that there is such confusion. But, it will always be my first award and who cares about whether they rescind the award or not.

helenae? Really? I guess that is a step in the right direction.

It would truly be a shame if this award were to be rescinded, because it is surely worthy! Some of the CITES interpretations are just wrong-headed. <shakes head>

helenae? Really? I guess that is a step in the right direction.

Yep. The weird truth is that after a time, the hobby gets saturated with these goodies and the USFW and AOS have no choice but to allow them because they can't tell legal from not and it becomes an expensive uphill battle for them to chase them all. In this case, it's a good thing USFW is an underfunded government organization. So, propagate away and distribute!

Again, you have a gorgeous plant there. Love it. Grow it. Rebloom it. Who really cares if it's awarded or not.

At the Members Meetings in Oklahoma City, Sam Tsui had a hybrid of adductum x gigantifolium that was awarded then recinded due to the rules. It was a marvelous combination of the two species.

It would truly be a shame if this award were to be rescinded, because it is surely worthy! Some of the CITES interpretations are just wrong-headed. <shakes head>
I agree! It's an HCC, which is really giving credit to the grower/culture!

as far as helenae goes. thats an interesting predicament also, as it is illegal for any of those plants to have even been exported at all from vietnam.. so even if the US government says its ok to have these plants it doesnt really matter since the vietnam government said its not ok for any of these plants to even leave vietnam......

as far as helenae goes. thats an interesting predicament also, as it is illegal for any of those plants to have even been exported at all from vietnam.. so even if the US government says its ok to have these plants it doesnt really matter since the vietnam government said its not ok for any of these plants to even leave vietnam......

Both helenae and vietnamense were confiscated then sent to rescue centers where they, through an interesting break in the law, were pollinated and produced seedlings that are now legal. It seems the best route for these species is confiscation and converted legality. Of course, many of the rescue centers don't have a prayer of even keeping the plants alive.

do you know what that break in the law was? like exactly what those rescue centers had to do to be able to offer those seedlings? were they just able to do whatever they wanted with them once they owned them and were able to subsequently bloom and pollinate them?

If you mean "AnTec's" helenae and vietnamense, I think the USBotanicalGargen and/or Bob W contacted officials in Vietnam and received permission to allow limited propagation. Once plants are confiscated, they are not allowed to be pollinated unless mother country gives the okay, I believe.

Latest posts

Back