Newby question!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalyke

Reaction score
Hi! I have been busy-- just graduated with my Master's degree and in the process of getting a temp job. I have been watching my paphs and phrags, and wondering how to tell if they are going to put out a spike. I've looked on line, and all I have seen is that little center leaf. What happens next? I have a bunch of those little center leaves. Can someone please post some kind of a time lapse? Maybe a picture series? I have seen these little striped/purple growths from the tiny center leaf. Is that what I am supposed to be looking for?

Some of those center leaves have a dark streak in it when it's going to bloom, usually when you have a new leaf then another right after and the rhizome swells fat, it's going to bloom

Thanks! So if it is just another little green leaf, it is just going to make another leaf? I have a big roth, but think it is just a seedling, and thought maybe...:drool:.
But, if not, I will just have to wait.

A roth has a long thin sheath leaf, different shape than the other leaves with a dark streak in the middle of the leaf, and the rhizome will be noticeably really fat

I notice a sheath, on my slippers and wait to see if the growth swell nwar the bottom if it stay thin and a normal growth then it won't flower.

But I have had at time a plant produce the sheath, then nothing and the sheath died but 6 months asfter the sheath I had a soike come up.

But the tell tale signes with my plants is that the growth gets fat.

If it helps, here are a few pictures of early stages spikes. First two are phrags and the next two are paphs. 0dfd475a043f320dfbc64937f2e37024.jpg354506f7933e977b19dc8f371ec8b78e.jpg406c582aeb139b229a1ae454448a94e5.jpge6dbd9d94a1e52c3ae5d26d94d7a9a20.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Depending on how this shows up on your screen the one with the white grate under it and the fan in the background are the phrags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

well so far it looks like I am just getting more leaves.

Latest posts

Back