Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow

Reaction score
hi all i.m new to slippertalk
i live in winnipeg manitoba canada where the weather is not alwayscompatible to orchid growing, except for the wonderfull cyprimediam; which unfortunally is to hard for me to spell

i.m a senior and pc,s are also new to me. i,ve grown orchids for about 5 years but not all that seriously, i was just trying to grow too many diff
species. i have finally narowed it down to phals and paphs; not because they are easy; but because i like them
currently i have about 10 paph,s mostly maudia types and my first orchid from 10 yrs ago a paph insigne. it is one tough guy after all the treatment and torture it has gone through
i just recently changed most of my paph,s over to s/h; but too early to tell if it,s for me. so that,s a little about me.
i,m sure i,ll learn much on this site and make great friends in the process
snow

Welcome from Sweden.

We have an unusual warm winter so fare here i Stockholm.
Not many days below 0 deg C and now snow.

A WARM WELCOME to you Snow!
PS. Even though for some with more experience, insigne can be a little challenging. I don't think I've tortured my insigne, it grows well, just no flowers!

Hello and welcome from Germany,
I hope your orchids like you despite of your dangerous nickname especially for Phals and Paphs - they usually don't like snow. :rollhappy:
Best regards from Germany, GuRu

wqow what a fantastic reception from all over the world.
i,m honored and will try to be a possitive contributor ''with my limited wxperience'' , to this site
its going down to -30c tonight and winds at 60 km an hour.
wished i was somewhere else!

Welcome from Texas. I am new to this also. I am very favorably impressed with it.

Welcome...I know about weather I'm in the Chicago area.
You'll enjoy it here. Jim.

Snow,

Welcome! Are you a member of the Winnipeg orchid society? I'll see you next month at your show.

-Ernie

Hello!
I'm new as well. I am at university studying rather far from home right now so it is wonderful to see all the beautiful slipper photos you guys post! It keeps me going during the times that I have to be away from my own collection/greenhouse.

Hello!
I'm new as well. I am at university studying rather far from home right now so it is wonderful to see all the beautiful slipper photos you guys post! It keeps me going during the times that I have to be away from my own collection/greenhouse.

WELCOME mccallen, good to have you! What do you have & what's the size of your GH?

I am just a small hobby grower. I have an 8x12 greenhouse and I try to stuff as much of everything as I can fit in there, including things that are probably too large. I've got everything from Cyathea, plumerias and Arundina to dumpster-bound orphaned orchids from the hardware store.

The majority of my collection is composed of the 'Old Standby' Phragmipedium hybrids (Schroderae, Calurum, sedenii etc) which I bought up when Washington's Baker & Chantry was closing down.

I've also got around 50 or so Phalaenopsis both in the greenhouse, and house proper. I'd say half are noid salvage cases, but I'm willing to sacrifice knowledge of pedigree for their wonderful easy-blooming displays.

I'm at university studying right now, and though a dorm is not really the friendliest place for orchids, I find Phals pretty amenable to college culture and I've always got to have at least one on my desk.

Back