Newbie Here

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrag_girl_WI

Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm a newb to the forum but not to orchids. I've been growing for quite a while (10 yrs) and have really gotten into phrags in the more recent past. I'd guess I have 100 plants? Its been ages since I last counted !!

I live near Madison WI and do the majority of my growing either in my basement under lights or in the south facing windows in the winter and then outside in the summer for a slug of plants.

I have a variety of onc, phal, paph, phrag, angr, catt ... mostly phals and phrags though. At some point I'll have to go around and take an inventory ... I have a lot, that's all I know LOL

My biggest problem (aside from the phrag that refuses to bloom because it hates me) is that my sassy cat likes to chew leaves of any strap-leaf orchid and also destroyed a mini-catt I bought a few months ago. She kept puking and I could not figure out why until I saw my baby orchid all chewed to heck. UGH!!!

Not sure what else to say except I'm obsessed with phrags and have a wish-list about 65 plants long LOL

Thanks in advance for answering the million questions I'm bound to ask as I expand my collections and refine my growing techniques.

Cindy

Welcome, Cindy! This is a great forum with many friendly and knowledgeable Phrag and Paph enthusiasts, both hobbyist and expert.

I keep a pot of oat grass around for my cat at all times and it seems to have helped tremendously in eliminating her orchid-chewing habit! Maybe you could get similar results if you did the same along with using some mild cat deterrent device or substance near your orchids. I use at least two and sometimes three pots, keeping them in constant rotation so there is always one available with grass high enough for or her to chew on, and one or more freshly planted or sprouting.

Welcome from Chicago! Are you a member of the Orchid Growers Guild in Madison?

-Ernie

Welcome to the forum, Cindy! You came to the right place- alot of very helpful and knowledgeable folks here!

:clap: WELCOME Cindy! Being a phrag lover, Madison is a great place to be with Chuck Acker in your back yard!

:clap: WELCOME Cindy! Being a phrag lover, Madison is a great place to be with Chuck Acker in your back yard!

I know, right? I spend a lot of time (and $$) there LOL

I was there a few weeks ago admiring the plants on my wish-list ... mega drool over some of the plants I saw :)

Welcome Cindy . Phrags are beautiful orchids and this forum is a wonderful place to learn more about them.I will second the comment on Chuck Acker. He's great to deal with and his plants are very nice
Happy growing,
from Lindafrog on the otherside of Lake Michigan.

Latest posts

Back