New Selenipedium species described.

Discussion in 'Taxonomy' started by Rob Zuiderwijk, Feb 26, 2015.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

1. Feb 28, 2015 #21

naoki

naoki

naoki

Oops, you are right, Rob! I screwed up when I was making the ascii tree. Thanks for the correction.

The new world vs old world distribution of this group is kind of interesting. I don't know much about large scale biogeography, but my friend says that there appear to be a bias in plants: Asia -> America is more common than the other direction.

2. Mar 2, 2015 #22

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

PaphMadMan

phytomanic

Except, it is quite possible that all those characters share some developmental cue. These changes work together to adapt the flower for a specialized pollination strategy. There's no reason to think they evolved independently. Disrupt one gene and the whole developmental sequence to differentiate the flower from the primitive form may collapse. That is the simplest hypothesis, since orchid floral morphology predates the genus Selenipedium. All members of the genus share a common ancestor that either evolved from something like a Cypripedium or some more primitive orchid that already had the differentiated flower, unless you are proposing Selenipedium as the ancestral genus for all orchids.

3. Mar 2, 2015 #23

dodidoki

dodidoki

dodidoki

Very interesting. Selenipedium "lindenii"... :)