New Purchases

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update

Well after two months, the Reginae is doing well but the Guttatum never made an appearance. I went back to the grower and he admitted he had had poor results with them himself and offered me a replacement plant from his indoor stock. I settled on a Paph Phillipinense X Rothschildianum (St Swithin) because it matches most closely the environment I can provide. We'll see what appears in a couple of weeks.
In the meantime, I have a Maudiae which is showing healthy growth but no sign of a flower spike. It was in bloom when I purchased it about this time last year and grew a new set of leaves over the winter/spring. I have it on a gravel bed in a window facing south-east. Humidity stays around 70% and I water with rainwater and feed weekly-weakly.
Any other suggestions?

The St Swithin arrived in excellent shape and is now safely ensconced in my gravel tray. I also took the opportunity to re-pot the Maudiae because it was sitting in sphagnum moss with styrofoam chips in the bottom of the pot. It was growing well but not showing any signs of new flowering. I have put both in an orchid mix from Gruber consisting of fir bark and volcanic rock. My other orchids seem to do quite well in it so we'll see what happens.

The Maudiae just isn't ready, is my opinion. There are so many variables within the time span of a year that could affect it's blooming.

Good news - my Maudiae is showing a good bud with a potential second one beside it. It is too early (and too small) to be sure but there will definitely be at least one bloom in the next little while IF I'm careful.
I was moving one of my phals the other day and managed to catch the raceme on a lamp and broke it off. I put it in water and it looks like I might get one of the buds to come to bloom. Fortunately it has put out a second raceme and will have 5 or 6 blooms eventually. (2 or 3 weeks)
I'll put pictures up when they bloom

New bloom

Great news. I bought this Maudiae in bloom last year. The bloom faded and dropped within a week. I have managed to persuade it to bloom again so I guess I'm doing something right. Here's a picture to share.

URL=http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maudiae1ir8.jpg]
maudiae1ir8.th.jpg
[/URL]

Phal rescued

As for the phal which I managed to break, it went on to develop a new raceme and has produced a rather nice display.

Latest posts

Back