New phrag first one

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy

Reaction score
"Silver eagle" from the late howard gunn

e4978e54ee40f476666a267e3e92a8ac.jpg

d04ac3bb1fc0639555b1c66598f0776c.jpg

Are you familiar with this cross? Schlimii x wersceherwckhiziker.... I can't find culture tips on the werzchejkec

I can't find acurate culture sheets for either of the parents of this beautiful cross uugghh does it grow warm, cool does it grow in moss on rocks is the medium acidic or more alkaline does it stay wet all year? Please help this is my first phrag :)

Thank you!!! I really like phrags just havn't tried them yet I suspect this is going to bloom soon 3 fully mature growths 2 almost 1 new shoot 6 total growths. it needs to be repotted there is roots comin out the top of the medium should I wait till after it blooms?

You can repot it, but were it my plant, I'd wait.

For one thing, even though I grow under lights, the plants get supplemental window light. This time of year, the days are short and getting shorter. While the slippers don't really go dormant, they certainly slow down a little. I prefer to put off repotting unless necessary until February or March when the days are getting longer.

Looking at your plant, the pot size is appropriate for it. With phrags, you don't want to over crowd the roots, but they bloom more regularly if they're a bit snug and slightly root bound. If you do decide to repot, keep in in the same pot or a pot of the same size.

For these moisture loving phrags, repotting is generally just a minor hiccup at most. If the plant is ready and preparing to bloom, repotting isn't likely to cause any issues, unless you're particularly brutal and horribly man-handle the roots. Phrag roots are pliable and tough, they don't snap and crack as easily as their more brittle paph cousins. You want to pull them out of the old mix, swish them around in some water to loosen the old mix, trim off any obviously dead and/or rotting roots, then place back in the pot and cover with new mix.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you, my night temp is 55-60 my day is 68-72 is this good for this phrag? Or most phrags? East window light ?

I suspect this is going to bloom soon 3 fully mature growths 2 almost 1 new shoot 6 total growths. it needs to be repotted there is roots comin out the top of the medium should I wait till after it blooms?
welcome to the wonderful world of Phrags. Unfortunately, the amount of growths is not an indicator of blooming; many bloom on one growth and many bloom only after many growths. Good luck.

Thanks, theres alot of phrags I like, just havn't got any out of fear thay my environment wouldn't be suitable so I got three humidifiers and 5 fans hope that helps. if you guys have any advice I'd appreciate it until then I'll be reading culture sheets thank you

You're asking slipper nuts if we have advice on growing phrags? That's just begging for a novel.

Do your research on which phrag species are water loving (most) versus those that are not (caudatum group). Hybrids are obviously tricky if they contain parents from both groups, but know that most plants will tolerate frequent watering, and in many cases, they do really well sitting with water in the saucer at all times. Your Silver Eagle will appreciate staying wet, and in my collection, it would be allowed to sit in water at all times.

If you're successfully growing and blooming multifloral paphs, then phrags are going to do just fine for you, provided you keep their roots wetter. Overall phrags prefer brighter conditions, as enjoyed by many multifloral paphs. Your temperatures sound good. Water quality is important, as phrags will develop leaf tip die back more easily than paphs as a result of water that is poor quality or from over feeding.

Again, this is entirely generalization, so there are exceptions. The major differences I see between paphs and phrags? Well, I already mentioned the roots. While phrag roots look similar to paph roots, phrag roots are pliable, wiry, and strong. They also tend to grow more roots than paphs, or perhaps they just grow them much more quickly. In general, phrags do have a much higher metabolism. Compared to many paphs, phrags grow like weeds. Because of their vigor, many phrags can bloom multiple times a year, this is likely in hybrids. The leaves are thinner than paphs, with pointed tips instead of the more rounded leaf tips of paphs. I would assume that paphs, with their thicker leaves, will handle lower humidity better than the average phrag, but to be honest, I don't know for sure. I do know that phrag flower spikes develop quickly. When it comes to the flowers, phrags tend to produce more flowers per spike, but the individual flowers don't last as long (by far). I've seen flowers that barely last a week, but 10 - 20 days is about average. The flowers fall off the spike suddenly, and without really showing any signs of aging. They look perfectly good, but one minute the flower is on the spike, the next minute it's laying on the floor.

I've grown many phrags and got many awards. Most phrags produce more than one flower at a time and last many months in flower.You can't really go wrong with them unless you overfeed.

Ed

Latest posts

Back