New New England native orchid field guide

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
One of my native orchid hunting friends, that i've assisted in showing some upstate ny orchid sites has co-written a new field guide. 'Orchids of New England and New York' Tom Nelson and Eric Lamont, is now available for sale online. Tom is a jazz pianist in new york city most of the time, and many other times he takes his wife and family through the united states and canada, to native orchid sites and takes pictures of whatever he finds. He had a few species that he wasn't able to find in flower, so I was one of a handful of people who supplied images for his book. It's a very nice book, and the publishers also do illustrations, which I thought were very nice. It's the first native orchid book that included a comprehensive image collection of seed pods for every species/variety included in the book.

I highly suggest people buy this book and check it out, especially if they have any interest in native orchids of the northeastern united states. I know there are lots of you cyp lovers out there who grow some of these beauties and would love to see images of them in the wild! The publisher's page for this book is at http://www.kollathstensaas.com/book.php?bookID=19 . It can be purchased at a few online locations, but the publishers are very generous, so I'm suggesting you purchase through them. Also, the book I think is $7 more at amazon dot com.

It looks very interesting Charles. I keep meaning to learn more about the native orchids in our region, this looks like something that would help.

Bill

I forgot to mention that, just like in paul martin brown's regional field guides, tom lists several geographic regions or localities that are orchid-rich, and list which can be found in which states (and a general flowering timeline)

Latest posts

Back