New Mount- Spagnum/Epiweb Substitute???

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks very good Lanmark. Very nice. From these photos the yarn does not detract from the moss mound. If I didn't know better, the yarn does look like the moss.

Yes, Matt, there is no moss here. It's mounded in 100% Red Heart Scrubby Yarn with a hollow center.

Yes, Matt, there is no moss here. It's mounded in 100% Red Heart Scrubby Yarn with a hollow center.

That is remarkable Lanmark, I wasn't looking for this fiber to replace sphagnum moss completely. But it is certainly cheaper than 5A New Zealand Sphagnum moss! Have you noticed any signs of algae? Can you tell if there are any fertilizer residue that can't be flushed?

Thank you for your information.

Matt, I have a Phalaenopsis venosa that I've had in the yarn for a few weeks now. So far, so good, with no signs of any issues.

Even if I flood the hell out of it, top-down, and it compresses the stuff, it springs back up in a day.

The stuff is available wholesale, but it's a $1000 minimum order, and I'm not up to make such an experimental investment at the moment.

Good to know, Ray.

It's really too soon to tell if I will have problems with it, Matt, but so far everything seems really good. I'm very pleased with it at this point.

Matt, I have a Phalaenopsis venosa that I've had in the yarn for a few weeks now. So far, so good, with no signs of any issues.

Even if I flood the hell out of it, top-down, and it compresses the stuff, it springs back up in a day.

The stuff is available wholesale, but it's a $1000 minimum order, and I'm not up to make such an experimental investment at the moment.

Yikes! $1000! No wonder a skein of this fiber costs $6.99 retail. I have found this locally @ Joann's. I have several small Furan that needs to be repotted. So I'll try this product on those plants. Thank you Ray.

Good to know, Ray.

It's really too soon to tell if I will have problems with it, Matt, but so far everything seems really good. I'm very pleased with it at this point.

Your observation is encouraging. I'm going to try this product on some of my Furan.

One thing I am starting to notice about the Scrubby Yarn which I don't like is that I am starting to catch a whiff of sour dishrag odor coming from the mounds I've made of it. It's not strong so far. I can only smell it up close. Another way to describe the odor -- and this is a bit gross -- is that metallic, slightly sour odor which is present when emptying the spit valve on a brass instrument like a trumpet or cornet. I don't know if this will continue to get stronger, or if there is anything I can do to get rid of it.

One thing I am starting to notice about the Scrubby Yarn which I don't like is that I am starting to catch a whiff of sour dishrag odor coming from the mounds I've made of it. It's not strong so far. I can only smell it up close. Another way to describe the odor -- and this is a bit gross -- is that metallic, slightly sour odor which is present when emptying the spit valve on a brass instrument like a trumpet or cornet. I don't know if this will continue to get stronger, or if there is anything I can do to get rid of it.

Interesting development. If it is something like bacteria, perhaps Physan 20? I am familiar with that scent, sometimes really old, green, decayed sphagnum moss has that dish rag scent. I unwrap the moss and start new.

I thought that polyester doesn't decay? As suggested by gonewild, maybe some organic (decaying roots?) is causing this scent?

My scrubby yarn has been ordered but hasn't yet arrived. I can't wait for this yarn to arrive so that I can try this material on my Furan.

I unwrapped it this evening. None of the roots are decaying. They all look perfectly healthy and happy, but the yarn sure does stink. It's a sharp, metallic, slightly sour scent but not like rot. The yarn doesn't seem to be rotting. It appears no different and still has all of its strength.

Yes, that is what it smells like, a stinky dish cloth. However, it does dry out completely after several hours, but I think these repeated wet periods have caused the odor. Now I just wonder if it will continue to get worse or will it abate after a while? I also have to figure out whether or not it is doing anything harmful to my plant. I'm curious to hear what Ray's experience has been with his Phal which he has potted in this material.

Without any natural chemicals on the surface of, or leaching from the substrate as a buffer in the root zone there is a potential of a huge pH shift. Bacteria may grow without causing decomposition of the plastic so don't rely on not seeing decay as a guarantee. Or the plastic may be leaching chemicals that feed some species of bacteria.
Bad smell may be just what the plant likes! :rollhappy:

Lanmark, are you adding any fertilizer or any other chemicals to the water?

In anticipation for my re-potting, I bought these very minimalist pots. In addition, I have these smaller net pots, that I will use to sit the plant on inside the larger pot. Hopefully that will provide maximum air flow.

298b5cc382dde120fbcc674e627acb66.jpg

Also should add about bacteria and odor.... the odor could be produced by Nitrifying bacteria. That may be a positive event for plant growth even if it is unpleasant to smell. But as I mentioned before it may cause undesirable pH changes. Will Neos like a non acidic pH?

Most of the time I water with distilled or sometimes RO water, but about once per week I wet them with a dilute fertilizer solution (MSU). I'm wondering if it would be better to include a few strands of NZ sphagnum moss with the yarn in order to incorporate some organic material into the mix. I think I will try this. I have a rather sensitive nose, so I must concede that the odor I am currently noticing isn't really that strong, but I can definitely smell it.

I use similar baskets, Matt, though mine aren't as floppy as yours. I already tried the ones you are showing. Then I switched to another, sturdier style of basket which I modify before using. It's a pain in the butt, but I'm happy with the results.

I wonder if adding a product such as Inocucor or Hydroguard to my water would make a difference.

Back