New Hampshire OS Special Auction

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
say, if someone from out of town makes a winning pre-bid and nobody else bids higher in the auction, is there a way to have the plants shipped to the winning bidder?

This is a good point!

Finding someone to ship to you, or having a proxy bidder for the live auction, is the responsibility of the bidder. We are not offering shipping on any of these plants!

If anyone has pre-bid and would like to retract their bid based on not being able to find someone to ship, please PM and your bid will be withdrawn.

This is a good point!

Finding someone to ship to you, or having a proxy bidder for the live auction, is the responsibility of the bidder. We are not offering shipping on any of these plants!

If anyone has pre-bid and would like to retract their bid based on not being able to find someone to ship, please PM and your bid will be withdrawn.

Hey George, If I win and I pay, you surely will ship the plant out to me, right?

Hey George, If I win and I pay, you surely will ship the plant out to me, right?

Well, I might... depends on how much you are willing to make it worth my while! ;)

That being said, if you are willing to pay for shipping, and accept the potential results, please contact me. I'm sure that something can be worked out.

Hey Eric and Rick, I most likely will be going to the auction. I need to get out of town for a day; if either of you or anyone else seriously wants to bid on any plants in the auction just pm me and let me know what you're interested in and all that. I can ship things on monday, and anyone could send me the money through paypal (plus a small transportation fee/gas money)

OK. Just had one of the worst days ever. Lost my cell phone and was with broken car, now fixed, all day. Then on top of that I didn't win anything!

just getting online after getting up late, after driving back late last night (probably spent 11 hours in car yesterday), checking in!

Eric, there were tons of tolumnias and such that weren't on the first list that were auctioned off first; I thought about trying to bid on some but didn't know what you already had or might want, and most of them went for decent amounts of money(!). I didn't think there was as much money in all of new hampshire that everyone bid on all those plants! ... we may need to hire a bus and bring some of those people to our cnyos orchid society auctions :)

I met George/gcroz at the auction and st member rangiku, talked with Rick/Tx slipperking and Brian Leib likespaphs on the phone, so met a bunch of slippertalkers yesterday! I was about to take a picture of rangiku at the auction, when a funny feeling came over me when I thought I heard the words "Jedi Mind Trick", and for some reason my memory of ..... ? funny, can't remember what I was going to do :confused: (some people are online-shy so no images have been uploaded :) )

Last edited:
pics of auction

I'm sorry to say most of the pics I took with my little digital camera are ugh, ugh ugly! It was dark and ... so lots of blurry pics. You can get the idea with a little description though. There were long tables full of plants, and also some amazing flowering plants from the NHOS's show table.

auction313a.JPG

auction313b.JPG

auction313c.JPG

some amazing show table plants

auction313d.JPG

a phal pallens or venosa just busting out all over the place (typical)

auction313e.JPG

an amazing sedirea japonica that also was just busting out all over the place! it was said
that the previous owner had received an aos award on this plant, which had I think
five flower spikes, at least 80 flowers and was smelling up that whole part of the room
(directly behind where I was sitting ahhhhhh :) ) The winning bid for this plant was $105 I think,
and I would have loved to have bid on it as well

auction313f.JPG

closeup of show table lycastes

auction313g.JPG

more show table plants; picture doesn't do justice, colors and flowers were amazing

auction313h.JPG

more amazing show table plants; s. coccinea plant/flowers that were perfect. the
pink flowers seen here were just as amazing, but my pic of them was way too blurry :(

auction313i.JPG

auctioneers (George gcroz was taking a break)

auction313j.JPG

stack of plants up front ready to be auctioned

more in reply thread

pics 2

there were a ton of chinese phal species, and most of them were amazing but went for prices far higher than I wanted to go. there were flowering phal braceana, multiple phal wilsonii's, a few honghenensis, a number of phal chibae's including a multi-spike one in flower, and early on there was a massive mounted phal celebensis that I would have loved to have bid on.....

auction313k.JPG

one bidder with her stash of treasure

auction313l.JPG

a beatiful polystachya concreta and below asco curvifolium

auction313m.JPG

gentleman in blue shirt midground is Tom Mirenda the speaker from the
Smithsonian Institute.
He won quite a few very unusual plants and was heard to say 'you just can't find these anywhere' a few times

auction313n.JPG

George Crozier (gcroz on slipptertalk!)

auction313o.JPG

yours truly with a very small stash of plants, for Rick/Slipperking from Tx, Dot and myself
(I was so good.. there were so many things I could have jumped in and bid on, but....)

There was a big list of plants that I was keeping track of for Dot, Rick/Tx and myself. It was funny how bidding would go... I bid early on a plant that wasn't on the pre-bid list so nobody was looking for it. I got an adult, pre-flowered and in-bud phal modesta for $25. Later on a tiny modesta was up for bid that had been on the list, and someone bid $40 for it! Rick pre-bid on the paph druryi at $75 and nobody challenged the bid. The flower pic on the screen showing representative flowers was cut off for the druryi, so nobody knew what it was or was interested in it. there were tons of phal species, and duplicates of phal species and everyone was bidding over $35-40 on all of them. There was even a blooming phal micholitzii, that only received a bid of $35! I would have bid on it, but had already expended my limit (d'oh!)

aloot313a.JPG

stack of our plants at home (with my good camera). large plant on left is a paph druryi that
is mostly Rick's; he also prebid on a paph roebelinii and got it after a little extra bidding on my
part for him ($26), and I got a late bid on a phal lowii that most people didn't know what it was
($27) that was a pretty good deal and also got a seedling phal doweryensis that nobody knew what it was, and couldn't let the bid go at $15 to someone else (a steal!)

aloot313b.JPG

top view of the phal druryi. I did a quick count, and including new shoots it has at least 20 growths! rick and I are going to divide it; likely 70/30 or however it splits

aloot313c.JPG

side view of druryi, fitting nicely inside a 6" net pot. it also has flowered at least three times before,
and the tag stated that it had been divided at least once every year since 2008

just an amazing variety and collection of instant culture award plants for anyone who could get some flowers on gigantic plants. there was even a neofinetia falcata that was in probably an 8" net pot, and looked like it had between 80-100 growths! I've never seen a neo that large either in person or in print...

Charles, glad you made it up! We were so fortunate to have such esteemed company for the auction, Tom Mirenda and you included. The funny thing about New Hampshire is we have no income tax, so all the money saved on taxes seems to go to orchid purchases! lol! We also have a lot of people interested in cool growing species, go figure with our winters, and not too many interested in Phals. I'm a Cattleya, Phrag, Paph, and Oberonia guy, so when auctions like this happen I have very little cash for plants... most of the cash goes to paying for propane for the gh.

As a little add on, I was in a bidding war with a couple of ladies over a Gongora maculata var. lactea, jungle collected many years ago, and I bowed out at $130. Fortunately, I have a division of that plant already, but I'm still stinging for letting the mother plant go. For those that do not know, it is exceptionally beautiful and exceptionally rare! Many Gongora people go through life never seeing one in person!

And Charles, I know it's a bit of a drive, but I hope we see you again in New Hampshire. I'm sure you got a taste of our Society and our growing skills and now know we are serious about our orchids!

And Charles, I know it's a bit of a drive, but I hope we see you again in New Hampshire. I'm sure you got a taste of our Society and our growing skills and now know we are serious about our orchids!

that is for sure, both growing and buying! I would be happy to visit again when opportunities are available

... and I don't understand that earlier part about new hampshire not having income taxes? i'm from ny; everything has taxes; even the taxes are taxed :confused:

oh, and one thing that I wanted to point out to people checking out the pictures, was that it was explained to me that the gentleman who grew all of these amazing orchids did so under light, in his basement. so, those of you who think you 'can't grow it under lights', it just isn't so. maybe some of the lights were hid lights up high over tall plants, but still they weren't grown in a greenhouse

WOW! Thanks a lot for the photos. I pre-bid on the Tolumnai heneckii in bloom, those things are impossible to find, and a couple of others. No wins at all, I cannot believe Rick's pre-bid won! :confused: Talk about Jedi mind-meld! :p I hope we can find out to the winning bids aon all the items.

Latest posts

Back