new at this

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

David2021

Hello everyone,

I would like some help or suggestions from the mexipedium group.
Are they hard to grow or hopefully not to kill?
Where is the best place to purchase one?
What would be the average price for one?
When do they bloom in the calendar year?
Will they bloom every year around the same time?

I am not interested in growing from a seed but would purchase a grown one?
Anyone out there who could help me I would greatly be thankful.
Anyone have a web site or articles about the mexipedium that I could read?

Thanks for reading my questions and hope someone out there responds!

David2021

Welcome to the forum David. :)
I don't know much about mexipedium but I would suggest you give us a little more information about who you are and where about you live, that would be helpful in suggesting places where you could buy them. And I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a Mexipedium group, just Mexipedium.

Hi everyone,
My name is David and I am from Northeast Ohio in the Green area by between Akron and Canton.
I just have 2 Orchids, 1 moth and 1 slipper.
I really do like the slipper orchids and the mexipedium really hit me but I don't know if I should try or could do this. I think If I had more information from those who do have these orchids and if they could pass along some information to me, it would help in my decision.

Thanks again,

David

OK!
Sam Tsui from Orchid Inn sells those. It's a one species genus so far. Mexipedium xerophyticum. According to OrchidWiz culture sheet, it requires good light and lots of humidity. Warm temperatures and the plant should be watered liberally during the growing season with a three months dry period from mid-winter to spring. Very well draining materials is recommended for potting mix.

Welcome David

Experiment with the ST search function and review some of the threads that have been posted on this species.

I know some recent threads have extensive discussion of the requirements for this plant.

Windy Hill probably has a bunch of blooming size divisions for sale too.

Since Mexipedium is not the cheapest of plants out there, you may want to get some practice growing some more paphs and phrags before you want to invest in one. Most mexi's seem to start at about $50, but you can get blooming size paphs and phrags for $20 and definitely under. Mexi's are also stoloniferous, so what starts out as a small plant will, if you are successful, soon take up quite a bit of space. I'm not discouraging you...but I think you will be happier when you get your mexi if you can feel confident in growing it.

Welcome to the forum! I have had a Mexipedium for many years. It comes from an area with a dry period and many people who grow them recommend that they be kept warm and with a dry period. When Harold Koopowitz published his slipper orchid book a number of years ago he said that he found Mexipedium seem to appreciate more typical Paph conditions.

Before reading Koopowitz my plant stayed at a small size and bloomed twice in 5 years. Since reading Koopowitz' book and keeping the plant moist (not wet!) year round and giving it typical Paph lighting (for me that means not too bright, I keep with Phalaenopsis as well as Paph's) it blooms every summer and now has 16 stems, adding several new ones each year.

Ron

I think from reading the mexi rediscovery sheet that kavanaru posted here a little while back, though there is a dry period in the habitat in winter, there are plants that grow on a side-hill or bank where there is a bit of seepage; also there is probably quite a bit of dew, so keeping them moist year-round would seem to be the best way to keep them the happiest

by the way, I have heard that the original article will be published soon in english in the Slipper Orchid Alliance Newsletter... keep an eye open!

Latest posts

Back