Nepal - trek to Rara Lake

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
Warning - if you have a slow connection speed you might want to give this thread a miss as there are a few photos.

Not sure if anyone is interested ( I think Jean is) but here are a few photos from my recent 3 week trek in Western Nepal. I took lots of photos so it was hard limiting it down to a few. This was just 1/3 of the trek, so I have many other photos that are as nice as these (as well as quite different) so I can post those as well if anyone is keen.

Western Nepal is extremely remote and rugged and sees few tourists, especially when compared to other more famous Nepalese trekking regions such as Everest and Annapurna. It is also an extremely poor area, hence facilities are limited and sparse. Most people who trek in this region go with organised groups, sleeping in tents away from the villages. However, I went with a few Nepalese friends and we stayed in the villages itself. This meant it was a lot cheaper plus we got to interact much more closely with the local people which was very rewarding.

The trek was tough with many high passes. As the villages were often few and far between, most of the days were long and many times we were walking in the dark. As a result I was often frustrated with the photographic opportunities as we were always in a rush. Anyway some of these are still quite nice. I hope you enjoy them.

David

_DSC3052copy2.jpg

_DSC3068copy.jpg

We don't have decidous forests in Australia so I was just awestruck by these oak forests.

_DSC3062copy2.jpg

_DSC3071copy.jpg

_DSC3103copy.jpg

_DSC3125copy.jpg

_DSC3145copy.jpg

_DSC2515copy2.jpg

_DSC2606copy.jpg

_DSC2618copy.jpg

Typical 5 star accomodation.

_DSC2739copy.jpg

_DSC3015copy2.jpg

_DSC2495copy.jpg

_DSC2502copy.jpg

_DSC2777copy.jpg

_DSC2798copy.jpg

_DSC2804copy.jpg

We had been climbing for 5 or 6 hours by this stage. That last bit just killed me.

_DSC2813copy.jpg

Rara Lake

_DSC2837copy.jpg

The trekking party

_DSC2836copy.jpg

Heading down to the lake.

_DSC2840copy.jpg

Rara Lake - sunset and sunrise

_DSC2885copy.jpg

raralakecopy.jpg

Thanks David!!!!! This was a real wow-moment!!!! Extreme landscapes, beautiful pics!!!! Jean

I suppose it's you on the left side of the group!

( before seeing the following pics, I was struck by n.5!!!! the rushing water to the left and the peaceful quiet cottage on the right!!)

I suppose it's you on the left side of the group!

Yes, squinting into the sun and looking rather weather beatened. I normally don't have my hair so short but went for the low maintenance look for the trek. :)

Spectacular!
What was your maximum elevation?

Only 4000 m so it wasn't too bad. Nothing like the everest trek I went on previously which reached 5700 m and was above 5000 m for a week. But then I was 5 years younger as well.

David

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the pics- it's 30F here and not a damn thing looks alive outside.

Wow! Your photos are like something out of National Geographic David! Just fabulous :clap: Thank you for posting. I hope you show us more of them.

OMG!! These are excellent photos!! They would look great in a book!! Awesome views you shared with us!! Thank you so much for posting these amazing pictures!!

I'm speechless after viewing your thread! Stunning photography! One of the best ones I've seen. Thanks for sharing. What camera have you used?

Thank you for posting the amazing pictures. It seems that you had a memorable trip and I love to share vicariously. Thanks again and anytime you want to post more I'll be looking......

I know I can't breath above 12,000 ft, so the part of the trip above 3500 meters would have been really hard on me. Wow. I am also struck by the lack of roads, even in the photo of the hillside settlement, none of those houses had car drivable roads, and those looked like fairly large, middle class houses (not a poor village). Looks like everything in Nepal is moved around by foot and pack animals once you get out of the lowlands near Kathmandu.

You wake up the adventurer inside me!!! WOW!!! SPectacular pictures of impressive scenery!!! Thank you very much!!!!

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!! Thanks for posting those great pictures.. fantastic... really enjoyed them...

I had no idea you were a goat in your prior lifetime! Those are some steep hills, the mountains must be quite the sight.....It looks like a great workout..

Back