Neofinetia 3 tiger & 1 fukurin

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
Tiger varieties are my favorites, but since I have hard time getting the right color, I only have so many.

It seems like the little Kinyuko is not only a robust grower, but an easy "tanner"!
Just no flowers yet.
Everyone else has a spike at varying stages.
Kogane nishiki was all green back in March when I got it, but one random leaf started to show some yellow. I wish the whole plant was yellow like some fabulous specimen I see at exhibits. Oh, well...

Kinroukaku is a good tanner, but slower grower. I have one more of this same variety and under the same conditions, that one doesn't tan very well at all.

Kogane nishiki

sSlkhxdl.jpg

Kinyuko
66CMK6Pl.jpg

Kinroukaku

ib4nyPFl.jpg

Gojo Fukurin
It has two spikes, but only one is developing normally, but only three buds it looks.

CFV98uql.jpg

Nice! My Koganenishiki responds well to the light. But I seem to remember having an opposite problem of too yellow (I just don't like the complete yellow look).

Nice! My Koganenishiki responds well to the light. But I seem to remember having an opposite problem of too yellow (I just don't like the complete yellow look).

I will post some pictures later.

What light are you using on yours??
I wish I had the yellow "problem" ;)

Apparently, there are genetic aspects to how yellow they can get as I see Orchid Web sells two types of Kogane nishiki, highly variegated & typical at different prices.

I see super golden yellow ones at exhibits but of course they never tell you what they do as it's both courtesy and secrets. It's a brutal world of competition it seems. All they say is "more sun but don't burn".

I had my Kinroukaku in the south window with sheer curtain. It would get strong light for good chunk of the day, yet the color stayed the same. I tried T8 for a month or two and that had no influence.
I switched it back to window. Over the winter, they greened a bit.
This spring, they showed a bit of stress with yellow part being overly bright and many purple spots, which really ruined the aesthetic of the plants.

Kogane Nishiki seems like a reluctant tanner for me.

Kinyuko is common in Korea while Kinroukaku and Kogane nishiki are not.
All are rather cheap as they are all easily propagated via seeds.
The problem is I hardly see nicely colored seedlings of Kinroukaku and Kogane nishiki.

Some fukurin varieties are also common, and I'm not sure if they are mericloned as I've seen a big farm full of just two or three varieties. Can't be divisions given the abundance, and Fukurins don't breed true via seeds as far as I know.

The big farms of Fukurin plants you speak of almost certainly have to be making clones, or maybe they are making heavy use of chemicals to promote rapid growth, including but not limited to Brassinosteroids and seaweed extracts.

I am happy with my Hana-Kin. Now I need to get a Joumonnohikari and a Kinyuko. My Hana-Kin has yellowed up nicely under a 4000K 40° PAR38 LED lamp at a distance of about 1.5 feet.

It was yellow when I had it outside under direct sun (maybe 4-6 hours?). But in the summer, we don't have night much, so even without direct light, they get a lot. In the winter, they are under light, so it gets a bit of green. It is under 4 bulbs of 15W Sunritek T8LEDs (4000K) per 4'x1.5' area, about 6-8". Similar to 4-6 bulbs of T8 fluorescent bulbs.

But as you said, they may be individual differences.

Mark, in Japanese websites, people were mentioning that Kinyukou (especially seed propagated ones) is pretty difficult to tell the difference from Koganenishiki when they are mature. On the top photo, left one is Kinyukou, the right one is koganenishiki. https://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/falcata_fuji/63961036.html
One person mentioned that the root of Kinyukou is paler (whiter).
I think the original Kinyukou was very expensive (before the flood of seed propagated ones). Koganenishiki is derived from selfing of Suminagashi, Kinyukou is older, and derived from Shizuoka Prefecture.

Mark- I looked up Hanakin and NWO had it in the past it seems.
There is also a variety, which I know the Chinese character but not in Japanese, but a cross between Kinroukaku & Koganenishiki. It basically looks like either parents but more like Kinroukaku with red center and red root tips.

I'm sure the results vary among off spring, of course, but I plan on remaking it.
My will miss blooming just about two weeks. Gotta save pollen.

Naoki- I read that Kinyuko was very expensive for a long time as it was a very slow grower and took 30 years to make five divisions. The birth of Kogane nishiki is very interesting as it arose as a random mutation among totally different variety.
Seedlings seem to be much better growers for both type, though!
I just looked at the root tips on both and I can't tell the difference.
I agree that they look basically the same. Gotta hold dearly to the tags. lol

Does your Kinyuko seem to be a slow grower, Happy, or am I to assume yours is a well-variegated seedling which grows better than the original?

Both Kinyuko & Kogane nishiki seem to be vigorous when it comes to adding new growths.
Definitely much faster than the original, which is said to have taken three decades to make five divisions. I wonder if it's true or perhaps the plant was diseased? lol

For now, Kinyuko is very common along with Setsusan and Fugaku.
The thing is almost all the Kinyuko seedlings are nicely colored while Setsusan is almost always terrible quality almost like regular green varieties. What's the point, right? At least they are all cheap but still carry the same name as the parent.
Fugaku seedlings are just highly variable, so market trend seems to dictate price on certain desired variegation of the time.

Looking back, I can say I regret passing on some of the plants I've had the opportunity to buy. Glenn Lehr, former owner of New World Orchids, used to have some amazing plants! The previous photos remind me of some of his offerings.

I would think the pot in the second photo costs more with the style of the rim.
Kinyuko is common, but not at this size, plus such nicely colored specimen at this size will garner some money.

So, I don't know which will cost more, but I would say the plant cost more.

You can buy a nice pot like this for around $200 unless it is from some very well known potter.

Latest posts

Back