A Few Neos in Bud/Bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
First to flower for me this year is Kinrokaku, again.
I have two and one always blooms a few months before the other.
This one has better leaf coloration.
Pedicel (the part holding an individual flower) and spur are slightly pink although not so obvious in the photo, very noticeable in person.

Very fragrant like gardenia and large flowers.

kDDNZvvl.jpg

Gojo Fukurin. Two spikes but only three flowers on each.
Small pure white flowers. Also fragrant of course, but slightly different scent.
Even the flower stalks are variegated.

NeHSzKAl.jpg

And coming very soon is Manjushage.
Very good grower/bloomer with large flowers with three spurs.

vxBeLx7l.jpg

yWYRrVIl.jpg

Miniature neo with supposedly standard flowers. can't wait to see it.

DqGPEYRl.jpg

Tenkei Fukurin.
I see five buds.

flsLAonl.jpg

Higashidemiyako.
I see four buds. The spike is red.

oxCMp7ul.jpg

I have some more, but this is it for now. :)

All super nice! Lucky you!

What is the miniature? It looks like Kasen.

Your a full month ahead of us for blooming. Nice looking manjushage!

I grow indoor, so they are usually earlier than they would with "real" winter.
This Kinrokaku flowered in April last year, it is a bit behind its schedule.

Two of my "basic" neos that flower around June, still have their spikes very low at the base of the leaves. Strange. I hope they eventually pop up.

Yeah, Manjushage is fun to watch. :)

Lovely, healthy plants and I love the flowers. I'm stunned
that you grow so well in a city apartment and I can't bloom
them in my greenhouse.

I know you mentioned it before. I really have no idea.
Maybe you just had poor plants? Try some more. haha

Kasen, it is.
How can you tell?? Would you have guessed it if I didn't give away the flower shape detail??

Yes, I could tell from the leaf and plant shape/form. I recognize a good many Neos simply by looking at them. This comes from growing them and obsessing over them for twenty plus years. I also happen to like Kasen very much. Please post photos when the flowers open.

There are many varieties I don't recognize too. :rollhappy: My best guess, though, is that there are more I can identify on sight than not.
:)

You could try net pot with stone chips or large perlite, then I don't think daily watering should be an issue.

Last edited:
Yes, I could tell from the leaf and plant shape/form. I recognize a good many Neos simply by looking at them. This comes from growing them and obsessing over them for twenty plus years. I also happen to like Kasen very much. Please post photos when the flowers open.

There are many varieties I don't recognize too. :rollhappy: My best guess, though, is that there are more I can identify on sight than not.
:)

I can't tell apart most of them without tags.

Nice. No chance for survival on our watering schedule. :eek:

One of the nice things about Neofinetia is their water requirements are not as intensive as other Vanda Alliance plants. They do like to be dry before they are given another watering.

Neos also live well in the home. Being in New York City, these should grow well? You grow more finicky orchids!

No, you have no idea!
Keeping up with watering isn't an issue for him.
The issue is for the plants keeping up with drinking. lol

Growing plants in the city apartment can be a major challenge because we have lots of old buildings where a lot of heat is freely given during the winter ( talk about energy waste!!!).
Too dry, too warm.

Latest posts

Back