neo. Shutennou

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

Couldn't repot this while Marco was here.It has 8 opened spikes with 3 more to open.

That's very white for the type.
It obviously has the flowering power of Shutennou.
Whatever it is, very nice!

Last edited:
I didn't realize that these named varieties are seed grown.
So if some plants of a given variety comes out very different like in this case, is it still called by the original variety name?

What about the ones with funky looking flowers?
Some of them have altered flower part and no reproductive parts as a result?
Then, are they propagated by division only? I guess? Hence the high price of some of these strange clones?
Or, if they do produce seeds, are the progeny quite uniform in their characteristics?

I've got a couple common wild form of white flowered ones. One is rather big and the other one is a tiny plant, and I like the difference.
I have a couple others that are crosses of red/pink flowered types. These are all seed grown, I was told by the seller.
Then again, these are highly common and I thought part of the reason for that was because they are seed propagated.

Any input will be appreciated. :)

Thanks for the plug Marco.

Yes, Shutennou is produced from seed, as are other pink and yellow flowered forms. As you also know, not all of these are pure V. falcata, especially the yellow flowered plants. Shutennou is pure however.

The story goes that the original plant was found on the island of Shikoku and was propagated only by division. Then people selfed it and found the seedlings to be true to form (though of course there is variation). It is said that seed produced plants are much faster growing than the original plant - or so I've been told.

So if some plants of a given variety comes out very different like in this case, is it still called by the original variety name?

Then, are they propagated by division only? I guess? Hence the high price of some of these strange clones?
Or, if they do produce seeds, are the progeny quite uniform in their characteristics?

I've got a couple common wild form of white flowered ones. One is rather big and the other one is a tiny plant, and I like the difference.
I have a couple others that are crosses of red/pink flowered types. These are all seed grown, I was told by the seller.
Then again, these are highly common and I thought part of the reason for that was because they are seed propagated.

These are good questions -- I hope someone who knows responds.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but here are some ideas:

From what I've seen, yes, you can still call the plant by the same name if it is seed grown, but growers here follow it up with "seedling of" to distinguish the difference.

Funky flowered plants like Seikai and Shunkyuuden either have limited fertility or none at all. Seikai has viable pollen only, and Shunkyuuden is completely sterile. The variegated forms as well are produced only by division (at least I've not heard of mericlones of these). Don't ask me about the tiger leaf forms...

Other odd flower types like Benikazashii and Manjyushage are often produced by seed - some hold the three spurred characteristic, some don't. If you buy unflowered seedlings of these it is hard to know what you'll get. I suppose the situation is the same for other odd flowered forms like Tenshin, Kutsuwamushi, and Soubiryu.

Many plants in the trade today are produced from seed in South Korea, while others come from China, making the situation complex. As others have noted on this forum, there is a fair amount of unscrupulous activity surrounding these plants, so it is best to trust your supplier before shelling out the big bucks.

But don't think that Japanese produced plants are the "real thing" and others aren't. Several officially accepted forms of fuukiran have been produced in Korea, for example Manjyushage and Hokage. As I said, the situation is complicated...

Well, this is informative and related to the topic, so don't think it's a hijacking. :)

Thank you for the picture, Jane, and thank YOU for the good input.

Tom, you are not hi-jacking this thread just making it very-very interesting with some great knowledge to be absorbed by us all.

Latest posts

Back