Neem

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I simply put it in a bowl of hot water and pour in more hot water as needed until it liquifies. :)

Neem oil should be volatile... but you can try the microwave and let us know about the results :poke:

(use gloves and eye protection!) :evil:

I'd have too boil a whole pot of water to sit the neem bottle in. If I can microwave it it will save time.
why do you have to heat the whole bottle? why not just take a teaspoon/tablespoon put it in a shot glass & follow shiva's suggestion.

I simply put it in a bowl of hot water and pour in more hot water as needed until it liquifies. :)

Put hot water in the sink and place the bottle in it... it works for honey... it should work for Neem Oil too...

NY,

I've always just sat the container in a sink filled with hot water, as suggested by Kavanaru.

overheating the oil would also probably nullify the chemicals that make it work and break it down somewhat. if you don't use it in a certain period of time or don't store it properly it is supposed to lose it's effectiveness as well. maybe sit the bottle (glass?) in a bucket of hot water, then pour the stuff into an old ketchup or shampoo squeeze bottle?

Charles is correct - heating it degrades the azadirachtin, the active ingredient. Heat it too much or often, and it becomes merely a stinky oil, that will only suffocate bugs, as Jim suggested.

I keep mine refrigerated to prolong the shelf life, but before doing so, pour it into a wide-mouth container so I can scoop out a lump of the gelled material for adding to warm (not hot) water with some soap.

Because the oil is solid in the bottle!
:sob: hmmm .... it's 66 degrees in my kitchen right now where my neem is stored. How warm is your apartment? I have the smallest bottle & I can get a regular dinner knife in the bottle & removed the desired amount, then follow above suggestions. Eric watering your plants is a much more timing consuming project than removing thickened neem from the bottle!

Back