mystery Phrag

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio-guy

Reaction score
I got this as a Demetria x Mary Bess, but it has barely a hint of rosy color in the pouch, and was told it was probably labeled incorrectly.
The leaves are narrow, and the plant remains relatively small.
Any guesses on the actual parentage?

P7080148.jpg

P7080150.jpg
P7080151.jpg
P7080153.jpg

Looks like some sargentianum in there. but I don't see pearcii or besseae.

Kyle

I think it's labeled correctly. Phrag. Demetria = caudatum x lindleyanum v. sargentianum, Mary Bess = besseae x caricinum. The pouch is is the color of the Mary Bess; the green spots and the cork screw dorsal come from the caudatum.

Pardon my comments, I thought I read ecua bess.

The besseae color is so dominant that expect more red. the amount of red in that flower could be from a well colored sarginteanum and longifolium.

What would caricinum do to the spotting in the pouch?

Kyle

I posted a prior photo about 14 mos ago when it first bloomed, under the name Demetria x Mary Bess.

Can anyone tell me how to do a "hyper link" to that prior posting?

It could actualy be as labelled. It is only 25% besseae, and while besseae is normally dominant, once you get to 25% or less in a cross its color CAN be overwhelmed by the other parents in some percentage of the offspring. I have some Bouley Bay that come out quite green. But if it isn't as labelled; my guess would be (Demetria x caricinum) or (Demetria x ecuadorense)

Hi, for me this is a hirtzii hybrid, see the picture for comparison....

hirtzii1.jpg

It looks almost like a straight hirtzii with the lack of the horn each side of the pouch.
There is two species who gave that characteristic, sargenteanum and caricinum...
If it was made with sargenteanum the petals will be shorter and I can’t see any caricinum influences.... But we can see the hint of sargenteanum influence in it...
It could be made with Demetria...??? That will explain the petals length...

Thanks for everyones input.
I can sure see a resemblance to the hirtzii photo posted.
I guess it will remain a mystery

Latest posts

Back