My sanderianum x gigantifolium from Pete

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't mean to offend anyone when I suggested that they white residue looked like bugs. I wasn't trying to attack anyone, but rather I was figuring it's better to be safe then sorry. I'm looking forward to the bloom as I'm sure others are.

I would look to any suggestions as a good thing! I can't wait to see the bloom on this one! ;)

Here's an update. These photos were taken on 05/02/2009:

IMG_0457a.jpg

IMG_0447a.jpg

Best Regards,
Nik

Looking good. I asked about the white stuff because to me it looked like it couldhave been a problem; no offense meant. At least it seems to have been taken care of.

Hi!

I have some bad news, folks. I was checking on the bud this morning (something I do every day with plants in spike) when I noticed that the bud was projecting at an unusually odd angle. As you can see in the recent photo, it's already growing out at a twisted angle, but this time it was even more extreme. Upon examination, the spike came off in my hand. So it was damaged by either my housekeeper who came yesterday or by my cat. If asked, I'm sure that Maria will blame the cat. ;) Either way, the bud is gone and it will most likely be a few years before it will be in spike again. :(

I'm hoping that those of you who purchased other plants from Pete will post photos when your plant is in spike.

Sorry to let you all down. :(

Best Regards,
Nik

That is a shame. I am really very sorry to hear that. Hopefully the energy the plant will save this time will mean that the next bloom spike will be bigger and finer.

crap. pink slip for Maria?
LOL. No. It could just as easily have been my cat Gryffindor who bent it. Besides, she does a good job of cleaning my house! There's no point in trying to lay blame. I just need to focus on the future, starting with a repotting and a dose of fertilizer.

Yeah, I'm about ready to cry into my coffee . . . . :sob:

Y'know, I probably would have :sob:

I hope that the plant won't make you wait too long for the second blooming. In the meantime, maybe get another one :wink:

:sob: what a shame! Nik you do a great job with your plants, as swamprad said it's saving energy for a bigger, better blooming! It's hard to lay blame, if it were the cat, I'd expect more damage. Yes it could have been knocked over? some thing dropped on it? or it could have happened during packing/shipping?

It definitely wasn't a problem that occurred in shipping. The spike didn't start popping up until after I received it. Anything could have happened. My housekeeper could have brushed against it or the cord to the vacuum cleaner could have caught on it or my cat (who isn't supposed to be on the dining room table) could have knocked into it. I dunno. My kitty is one year old and likes to get into things. Everything is a toy to him. I'll never know exactly what happened, so I'm not gonna get obsessed over it. I just need to stop wallowing in self pity and move forward. :eek:

Thanks everyone for your support!

I know how terrible you must feel but I broke a bud on a Michael Koopowitz once and shortly after I had four new growths An older gentleman in our society breaks off all first blooms to give the strength to the plant a hard thing to do but it works
Ray

That sucks! I'm really sorry! I've lost a bud or two from plants-(usually MY fault) I'll keep my fingers crossed for a quick re-bloom.

That's too bad. On the positive side, it will probably shoot out two or more new growths for you now.

I'm so glad that you didn't lay blame on your housekeeper or cat....I love cats, plus I clean houses for a living. (I have my own business) It's nice to hear somebody not want to blame the cleaning lady....my clients don't as they know I am reliable and responsible but I hear so many people that jump to the conclusion that 'it must have been the cleaning lady!' Thanks! :)

Sorry to hear the bad news, but it'll be better next time good luck...... Jim.

Latest posts

Back