My sanderianum x gigantifolium from Pete

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

My sanderianum x gigantifolium from Pete (Paph. Chiu-Hua Dancer)

Hi!

This is a Paph sanderianum x gigantifolium, which I recently picked up from Pete when he offered BS plants here on SlipperTalk. The plant that I received is very nice and I'm quite pleased with it.

IMG_0403a.jpg

And I discovered earlier this week that it's in bud!

IMG_0406a.jpg

And this is what it looks like today (04/25/09):

IMG_0425a.jpg

I will post more pictures as the bud develops.

Best Regards,
Nik

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice purchase Nik & others!
Swamprad - you're not alone, we'll have our chance .....
some time ...... some where!

Hi!

Pete verified in a different thread that this is actually gigantifolium x sanderianum. Gigantifolium is the pod parent. FYI.

I'll post more photos as the bud progresses.

Best Regards,
Nik

Okay. A few of you have commented now on the possibility of mealies. I'll go ahead and spray it with Neem oil just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your input. :)

Okay. A few of you have commented now on the possibility of mealies. I'll go ahead and spray it with Neem oil just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your input. :)

I am thinking the same as other peoples when I saw the photo.
However , you said it is dried fertilizer. Then do not spray neem oil yet.
Run your hand on the white stuff
-if it is soft, wipe away easily then it is mealies.
-If it is dry, hard and not easily wipe of without water, then it is fertilizer residue.
-also mealies will move (some of the white stuff will move) when you spritz them with water.

it is not mealybugs. That's ridiculous. I am a commercial grower and know bugs or spray residue when I see it.

It is probably one of, or a combination of IBDU, metaldehyde and pentathylon residue.

It is probably one of, or a combination of IBDU, metaldehyde and pentathylon residue.
Thanks for setting everyone straight Pete! I knew from getting other shipments from you that was not bugs! You go to great care and expense to send out quality products

I never thought they were bugs; merely an accumulation of fertilizers. I did spray it down with a Neem oil solution yesterday. Whatever it was, it is now gone. And the leaves are shiny! I'll post again as the bud progresses.

Thanks, Pete!

Latest posts

Back