My connected mexipedium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilda

Reaction score
North East Tennessee, Z6 , Sunroom, flourecent lig
The stolons were going everywhere and I didn't corral them soon enough. So, they each have their own pot and yes I believe it's gonna bloom ! There is a spelling typo on my picture before anyone jumps on it :)
P1020653.jpg

Mexi's are pretty fun this way Gilda. I posted a pick of mine a ways back with a bunch of "aerial" keikis in bloom. I waited too long to get mine into a big tray.

This fall I found the biggest pot I could find around the house, filled the bottom up with peanuts and junk, stuck the original 3" pot in the middle of it, and wound all the stolonous growths around it onto the surface of the new potting mix in the new big pot.

They seem to be taking to the new substrate and look pretty happy so far. I think there are about 20 growths spread around about a 12" pot.

Great idea Gilda! Mine just slowly grows but no stolons so far or flowers :(

This fall I found the biggest pot I could find around the house, filled the bottom up with peanuts and junk, stuck the original 3" pot in the middle of it, and wound all the stolonous growths around it onto the surface of the new potting mix in the new big pot.

They seem to be taking to the new substrate and look pretty happy so far. I think there are about 20 growths spread around about a 12" pot.

Pics please!

Mexi's are pretty fun this way Gilda. I posted a pick of mine a ways back with a bunch of "aerial" keikis in bloom. I waited too long to get mine into a big tray.

Hmmm great idea for potting Rick. If mine blooms ,I will give that a shot and get rid of the duct tape !!:rollhappy:

:clap::clap: My division is starting to take off, so far running along the inside rim off the pot!

Wow, Rick, that's really grown!
Do you find it likes the deeper pot?

Most of the big, outer pot is filled with peanuts and pottery shards. The potting mix (which is only bark and crushed limestone) is only a couple of inches deep.

Some of the newer stolonous growths are starting to root in it, but most haven't really been in it long enough to be well established.

I think NYEric's plant is like the way mine was with a bunch of aerial keikis, and potting in something like a strawberry pot may also work good.

Rick, How on earth did you get the stolens to bend ?? Soak them ? Like Dot said ,mine are stiff as a board and would break !
PS Mine has a bud that's getting bigger !:clap:

Either mine are more bendable or there wasn't that much bending to do. Probably a combination of both.

The pot size was the minimum I could get away with without what I thought would be too much bending that would snap stolons.

It sounds like a few people are getting spikes, and I don't see any on mine yet:eek:

I'll have to check my records for when this one likes to start up. Once it does it goes for months:wink:

Last couple of years I even had branching spikes!!

Latest posts

Back