My Ang. disticum hates me...

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several times over the years I would pick up various Angraecums and Aerangis. Only the larger Angraecum species and hybrids would thrive in pots. All of the minature and compact species would perish in time. Finnally I started mounting the mini's on cork slabs, watering them only twice a week. Even though 6 months out of the year my growing area that has low humidity, these little guys thrived, once mounted. Now I can bloom Aerangis disticta, Angraecum compacta and a few others with no trouble. It is worth a try.
Leo

The 2 seedling I got are mounted on cork with a few strands of sphags over the roots. They are in the bathroom with a NE/E facing window with frosted glass so they don't get that much light (although I never measure the FC with the light meter). Humidity is always over 60%, and I water them every morning. Seem to be growing well so far, with new leaves and basal offsets. Hope that helps..

hmm...might be worth trying to mount. That would be a first for me.

Here the one I got last year: => http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10031&highlight=distichum

It is mounted, but dries out quickly, so that I put the lower part of the mount into a saucer of water every other day now! the larger of the 2 growths has gone :eek:, te small one seems to survive, but as Dot already mentioned, IMO too, they are hard to grow (my 1st one, a larger plant from Lecoufle did it just for 2 years)! Jean

I've never had good luck w/ angraecum distichum. THe best one I ever killed however was grown [by it's previous owner :eek:]on a cork mount. warm, humid w/ low light.

Back