More Sad News!!!!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocarmar

Reaction score
I just got this email today!!

ORCHIDbabies Announcement

Hello, my name is Susan Mattison, and I am writing on behalf of my parents, Phyllis and Earl Bailey, owners of ORCHIDbabies LLC, who have specialized in the growing and hybridization of Phragmipediums and Paphiopedliums. They are selling their orchids and business due to health reasons.

Since opening in 2002, ORCHIDbabies has earned the reputation of growing high quality paphs and phrags, resulting in a loyal following of repeat customers from all over North America. ORCHIDbabies has a distinguished line of hybrid paphs and phrags, including a special line of compact Phragmipediums. ORCHIDbabies also has over a thousand mounted miniature orchids, and less than 100 vandas. Growing award-potential slipper seedlings has been the focus of the ORCHIDbabies laboratory and greenhouse. One of ORCHIDbabies most recent AM/AOS awards was for the seedling: Phrag. exstaminodium ‘Gandalf’s Son.’ ORCHIDbabies has registered approximately 40 new paph and phrag crosses; some are pictured here: http://www.orchidbabies.com/awards.php

ORCHIDbabies “best” and newest Phragmipedium was just registered within the last month, and is named Phrag. Cahaba Earl Bailey (Sunset Glow x caudatum), after my father.

Phrag. Cahaba Earl Bailey

Phrag. exstaminodium ‘Gandalf’s Son’ AM/AOS

ORCHIDbabies is selling all or part of its assets including: the name and domain; a user-friendly website which includes a SQL inventory database; a customer mailing list; a complete seed lab including autoclave, shaker, and laminar flow hood; awarded stud plants, flasks, seedlings, and mature plants; and greenhouse & orchid show supplies. ORCHIDbabies has a 2200 square foot greenhouse that they would like to lease. ORCHIDbabies is also selling mature plants at wholesale prices.

If you have additional questions or would like to schedule a visit or conference call, please email [email protected] or call me at ORCHIDbabies 205-665-5650. After 10/26, please call me on my cell phone at 206-669-2727. Please feel free to forward to interested parties.

Sincere Regards

Susan Mattison

[email protected]

P.S. Just in case you know my parents. My mom says to tell you, they are doing just fine.

I hope someone interested takes over. It would be a shame to let all of that go. Thanks for the heads up.

This is sad news. Earl has had worsening health problems over the last few years. I've always had a good time visiting, collaborating, and even scheming with Earl over the years, so this has to be hard for him and his family to back up from the orchids.

I wish good luck to all.

I hope the business is pased down to someone skilled and loving orchids, as the previous owners...

Earl gave a presentation this year to our OC, he was the happiest, jolliest person I've ever met, one would not know he had health problems by his whole attitude & demeanor. I, too, hope that someone takes over and wish both Phyllis & Earl the best!

It seems to me they must have had a happy life growing, selling and hybridizing orchids together. Meeting interested and interesting customers and people, talking about orchids. I don't see sadness but fulfillment of a good and happy life as it must have been caring for orchids. All things must end someday and I hope they made the most of their good years and the ones still to come. :)
If there is sadness to express, it's mine for never having met them.

Earl gave a presentation this year to our OC, he was the happiest, jolliest person I've ever met, one would not know he had health problems by his whole attitude & demeanor. I, too, hope that someone takes over and wish both Phyllis & Earl the best!

Selling the business to an outside individual may prove difficult too. I've visited with Earl and Phyllis, and the home and orchid facility is way outside of town (Birmingham, Al is closest city). The driveway to the house must be at least 2 miles long off the main road. It's a beautiful place, Earl and his son designed and built the house (He was an engineer before going pro with orchids). So that would be a big commitment for someone to "take over" the business without purchasing the entire property.

Back