More Sad News from Another of our Members

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank...thank you. You have no idea how much I appreciate this. John has been my best buddy for some time now and it breaks my heart to see this disaster happen to him. My hat is off to you Sir, for your kindness and generousity.

This is truely amazing how everybody is stepping up to help John out. I have known John and Wendy for many years and they are both great people,they would do the same for someone else in the same situation. I myself would like to thank everyone who has stepped up to help out in this sad time for John.
We can only hope that he can get up and running again as he is such a great grower of plants.
Thanks everyone

Frank, you are a true gentleman, and have made a very generous offer. It is inspiring to see how everyone is pitching in to help. It is great to see everyone respond to someone in their time of need.

There was talk earlier in the year of doing an auction as a fundraiser for the forum, perhaps this Spring when the weather is better for shipping. Since the forum is in better shape financially (for the moment at least) maybe we could divert some funds to John if we proceed with it.

Eric

I started auctioning some of my plants at the OSF to help suppport John and others have followed suit. I was planning on asking Heather if I could post a few here as well but haven't had the oportunity yet to look through my slippers.

Heather. I am a firm believer in karma...what goes around, comes around...I figure it wouldn't hurt to start the karma ball rolling by posting info about Frank's generosity at the OSF. :D

Heather I have posted 3 auctions in the sale/trade section to benefit John Marcotte. I encourage others to bid and often as well as following suit and post an auction or 2 to benefit John

Good going Ron. I'm hoping to arrange an auction at one of the societies up here and will donate plants to that. If that can't be arranged I will post here or OSF.

I have a nice 14"ls Paph sanderianum that I am willing to auction off (plus a couple others)...I will sell it as soon as I can finalize plans...either a society auction or online.

I have been keeping up on this post since it was put up!!

To John, even though I don't know you, You are in my prayers for a speedy recovery.
I will lend my supprt for an Auction of my P. hybrid seedlings!!

Tom

OKAY.

I just talked with my bank and because we are dealing with Canada, they suggest that I hold onto donations until we have up to $500 (we're at $229 right now) and that we either do a Mastercard Giftcard for up to $500 for a $5.00 fee or wait until we have $1000 and do a wire transfer with a $35 fee. The latter insures that the funds are there without a delay. I may call again tomorrow and try to get another response and see if it is different.

Int'l money orders are held up with timing by several weeks. US mo's are also just a disaster, it sounds like - so MOs are out. But I'm not yet sure about wire transfers or traveller's or gift checks - they seem more reliable.

does any of that make sense?

I'm in Canada now. Had a ***** of a time getting reimbursed for my flight. Consider a *Postal* money order? Ended up working well for getting money from CA to US.

-Ernie

I hate to suggest this, but why don't you encourage Wendy or John to set up a paypal account? Its free, easy and would solve all these problems.

As a last resort, you cold paypal me the money, and I'll send a check to Wendy. I know $35 isn't the end of the world, but it seems a bit steep to me.

Kyle

It's been suggested Kyle, but I don't think either is willing from what I've heard. I'm just trying to help!

You are too, clearly! I may take you up on paypalling you the cash, but we'll still take a double hit as we get some taken out when donations come in and we'll get them taken again if I send it on to you., no?

Ron-NY, could please pass on my regards to John. Having lost my entire Cymbidium collect & sales etc, (10000+ plants ) under similar circumstances I know exactly how he feels. Having read the responses to the crisis in this forum, my faith in humanity continues to climb. I wasn't the recipient of such kindness from so many, no as much as phone call. I am not in a position to assist John myself except for a kind word of encouragement and praise those able to help.
Roy.

It's been suggested Kyle, but I don't think either is willing from what I've heard. I'm just trying to help!

You are too, clearly! I may take you up on paypalling you the cash, but we'll still take a double hit as we get some taken out when donations come in and we'll get them taken again if I send it on to you., no?

I don't use PayPal enough to know the ins and outs. I guess if there is enough money, 2-5% will be more then the $35 money order fee. Think about it, the offer is there if you need it.

Kyle

Latest posts

Back