More Paphs in Flower right now

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David, I also note the Paphs you posted being rejected as species. There is a major problem with some growers/judges in thinking they know everything & won't be told. I've been a Judge for many years and the one thing I do is, if I don't know or am not sure of a plant flower against name is find someone who does or get a group decision on what to do. I've looked at many shows and show pics and I am yet to find everything to be correct in name against flower. The problem you faced was completely wrong and the Judges should have been made to rejudge the section. The Chairperson should have had the issue raised with them by other judges. The problem is there that many don't know what they are looking at either.

On both times the plants were all but disqualified as the senior judge said they were incorrectly entered in the species section. He said the first one was a wardii hybrid. We are talking about senior judges with more than 20 years experience...... If they can’t identify some of the most commonly grown species then they are no hope of differentiating the hybrids. .......their word should not be treated as gospel.

Oh, that really bites! You were robbed of a fair judging by an ignorant ego. So sorry! Why can't people remember to leave the egos at home!? There's no shame in accepting the FACT that someone else might be more knowledgeable than you on a particular subject. I've had that sort of thing happen to me too and I've heard of it happening to other people. Some judges forget that the judging process SHOULD be a collaboration, not a dictation; because nobody can know everything about everything!

BTW: Nice sukhakulii!:)

@ Roy

The facts are:
At around 4.30pm Melbourne time Darren wrote in a post that he doubted that the plant was a NH.

At 7.30pm Melbourne time he listed the plant as a NH.

Out of interest, a couple of hours before the end of the auction I asked Darren a question about the plant via the eBay "Are you sure the plant is a [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Norito Hasegawa[/FONT]". Darren didn't indicate that there was any doubt. It's at this point I started to doubt his honesty.

I guess everyone is different but If I had any doubt about anything I was selling, I'd make full disclosure. Especially when given the opportunity to do so when questioned.

I don't distinguish between online and in person sales and personally don't go along with the buyer beware principal.

Darren posted a very nice [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Norito Hasegawa[/FONT] on this forum recently so its beyond me how he could honestly list the plant being discussed as a NH.

I don't see how Darren is a victim here. I recall that you took an issue from this forum offline (another issue involving a NH), does that make the owner of that plant and the judges victims, I think not.

Darren suggested during our discussion via pms that I had something against him, that certainly was not the case. There was some mention in this thread that Darren had listed dubious plants before but I'm unaware of this. Up to this point I had no reason to doubt him and would have bid on one of his recent auctions but was away at the time. Do I have anything against Darren? No. Would I buy from Darren in the future? No but that's of little consequence for either of us.

The issue with the previous malipoense / NH was justified, in fact, I was way behind in commenting on its doubt. There were many ahead of me. I had not seen the flower till it was posted here. I actually approached a senior member of the State judging panel over the issue. The feeling was that the owner was a too nice a person & respected to put the issue to. The judges were of great knowledge OR no-one had the cluster to tell them they were wrong. I left it there! No way would I contact the owner, NOT my place to do so. Whether Darren is a victum or not, the issue of raising it in a forum for all to see is dead set wrong, I have seen anywhere that you had been appointed ebay police. What is thought of someone should be kept to ones self. Some of the comments posted since the ebay posting was noted here could near be liable. I believe this or any forum is to try & guide members in culture, show off new orchids & correct names / ID flowers posted. Should the member choose to accept the information or not is not the forum/members problem. Again, as to telling all what was, is, has happened is in my opinion a low act, particularly when it has NO affect on a forum member ( potentially ) I'm sorry, thats just my opinion, some things should be left private.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back