Paphiopedilum Latoya (Fanaticum x armeniacum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottbjd

Reaction score
I am happy to share this new beauty that I have at home. This is Paphiopedilum Latoya (Fanaticum x armeniacum) that I got from OrchidInn in August so I can only take partial credit. I have seen a few examples of this cross and mine seems to have more undulations in the petals and much less markings, no fenestration, compared to other clones. Some photos I have seen look more like a Fumi's Delight (micranthum x armeniacum), taking more from the micranthum grandparent, while in my opinion mine looks more like a more yellow Norito Hasegawa (malipoense x armeniacum), taking more from the malipoense grandparent. Some of the interesting things to think about with a second generation parvi hybrid! I have a second one of these in bud now so I am excited to see how it is different. These are relatively small plants (flower is about 8cm) and I hope for some improvements in future and hopefully stronger bloomings.
These plants are currently on a cool windowsill with a hanging T5 for now but will go back into the warmer grow tent soon.
20201206_135518_HDR.jpg20201206_135401_HDR.jpg

I really like the same and color of yours! It will be great to see the other clone for comparison. I also have one of these from Orchid Inn, but mine is no where near blooming size.

I really like the same and color of yours! It will be great to see the other clone for comparison. I also have one of these from Orchid Inn, but mine is no where near blooming size.
I will post my second one in bloom but there is a Latoya in the Paph blooms 2020 post that is active right now.

I have seen quite a few of these in bloom, and trust me. I've seen some ugly stuff. hahaha
Yours is among the best when it comes to the colors. Often, these can come out "dirty" yellow.
Yours look very nice and clean in how yellow it is. Having less lines and markings add to that clean crisp appearance in my opinion.
Nice round and full petals are also great. The only thing I don't like about is the staminode. but overall, I would take this flower in a heart beat!

Not sure if this is best place to show but here is the second Laytoya to bloom. This one has a more elongated pouch and is slightly less yellow. I find the staminode is better on this one.

Attachments

• 20201224_125841_HDR.jpg
    20201224_125841_HDR.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 12
If fresh, the color might intensifies over the course of a couple of weeks. Sometimes, it stays this greenish yellow.
I like it. I find the first one better in shape personally, but would be happy with both. Lovely yellow flowers!
Mine had one (but very healthy and long) root left in the pot (bush snails were found, so they were eaten alive by the little devils I assume) and I would think it may take some time to recover, but I do feel that little bump at the base of the plant and the newest leaf is slowly rising. So, I wouldn't be surprised to see a spike in the next couple of months. Yay!!

Back