More Neos!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
The first two are root shots. Any clues on how I'll be able to repot these and tuck those huge babies inside?

Shutennou: growing like mad!
shutennouwo1.jpg

Tamakango: none too shabby!
tamakangofi8.jpg

Gekkeikan: fragrant as all get out!
gekkeikanjg5.jpg

It sure liked the conditions it was in. If it were mine, i wouldnt even try, at least on the longest ones. Id end up breaking them all.

The first two are root shots. Any clues on how I'll be able to repot these and tuck those huge babies inside?

Heather, in early spring repot them using the appropriate potting method and yes, cover the roots. Neofinetia don't usually grow their roots directly into the moss, but just above it. Here's an awesome plant being grown over an inverted clay pot - maybe a better way of growing them longterm?

Heather, in early spring repot them using the appropriate potting method and yes, cover the roots. Neofinetia don't usually grow their roots directly into the moss, but just above it. Here's an awesome plant being grown over an inverted clay pot - maybe a better way of growing them longterm?

Wow. Cool. By appropriate method, Tom, do you mean the one I am using currently? Is there any moss on top of that clay pot? I can't really tell!

I've been a little concerned that the amount of rain/water they've inadvertently received this summer was causing the roots to "run away" but when I can, I do bring them in (if rain is expected, as it was last night and today) to give them a chance to dry out when we've had a significant number of recent storms. However, they seem so so happy I wonder if I am overly concerned.

Wow. Cool. By appropriate method, Tom, do you mean the one I am using currently? Is there any moss on top of that clay pot? I can't really tell!

I've been a little concerned that the amount of rain/water they've inadvertently received this summer was causing the roots to "run away" but when I can, I do bring them in (if rain is expected, as it was last night and today) to give them a chance to dry out when we've had a significant number of recent storms. However, they seem so so happy I wonder if I am overly concerned.

Yup, you are using the traditional method. Do you leave an empty space in the center of the moss ball? It isn't necessary, but that allows the moss to dry out faster and the plants enjoy that. Don't worry about water as long as they are in full growth and the temperatures are high. I water mine daily unless there is rain. I don't know if there is any moss on the top of the pot in that incredible specimen. That plant makes me want to try a couple that way!

Yes, when I pot I use the plastic bottle underneath the moss to leave a hole in the center. In fact, even when I get a new plant and it is potted traditionally, if there is no center hole I repot right away, usually re-using the new moss because I really like to be able to make sure they are dry in the winter by sticking my finger up there, if it's still damp underneath, I wait to water.

Thanks Tom!

They look like real happy campers, I would think you're doing something right! :clap:

Latest posts

Back