miltoniopsis question

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

Hera

I'd like some input on how difficult the miltoniopsis are to grow. It would be in a southern window, back a bit so they don't get scorched, and humidity from trays that is around 65-70%. They are so beautiful and I'm thinking hard about getting a couple. Does anyone have a recomendation of a particular vendor?

I agree with Leo. And I would consider buying some that are more warmth-tolerant. Particularly if you are growing them on a windowsill. Hybrids made with Milt. santanaei are supposed to be more warmth-tolerant. My friend Trudy grows Miltoniopsis in her greenhouse which she has to cool in the Summer and provide a fair amount of shading. Good luck to you.

These are easy to grow with a cool-intermediate greenhouse, copious watering and annual repotting. They are somewhat more difficult in a house which tends to be too dry......If you live in the Northeast or Northwest in the U.S., they grow pretty well.

Thanks for the input. I have one Masdevallia that is growing, but I killed two others. That's why I am asking for input before I commit. It would be great to have the perfect environment for every orchid that catches my eye, but realistically, I know I should stick to what will actually grow well.

On the other hand, my paphs are really happy! Must be doing something right there.

I've been growing Miltoniopsis in the house for over a year now...they are all in bloom at this moment. I have found that anything under 70% humidity will give you accordion growth. Spritz in the morning and use a humidifier. I grow mine in a room that gets southern exposure, they are about 6 feet from the window, off to the side. I also turn down the heat at night in that room.
They are probably my healthiest plants, so I wouldn't be discouraged to grow them inside.
Good luck

I'm thinking a south window might be too warm and bright.
I agree! One needs to remember when indoors, 6 feet away from any exposure changes the strength of the light by quite a bit & the size of the window will make a difference too!
Conditions are just not the same for everyone! ;)

Latest posts

Back