Micranthum in Double Buds

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
This is among my favorite when it comes to leaves.
This plant was bought as a single-growth plant in 2017.
The original growth is dead and dry (you can see it somewhere in the photo).
It developed three stolonous growths before dying. Two of these are now in bud.
The sheath appeared a few months ago, so it has been a very long wait. Slow as nail is about the best way to describe the speed.

Each of these three now has two to three stolons of its own, so this pot is full of plants. Not too bad for a windowsill growing. :)
No repotting, and no plan on repotting for a while.
4inch diameter pot for reference. The plant is nice and compact unlike two others I bloomed which were very big for this species.

SBPq2wml.jpg

Gorgeous! Lucky duck! Mine had a few spikes forming on it last year, but they all blasted :(. I need to figure out a good balance between how cold and how dry to keep it. It grows like a weed (15+ growths) but I have yet to see any flowers. Good luck with yours!

This is among my favorite when it comes to leaves.
This plant was bought as a single-growth plant in 2017.
The original growth is dead and dry (you can see it somewhere in the photo).
It developed three stolonous growths before dying. Two of these are now in bud.
The sheath appeared a few months ago, so it has been a very long wait. Slow as nail is about the best way to describe the speed.

Each of these three now has two to three stolons of its own, so this pot is full of plants. Not too bad for a windowsill growing. :)
No repotting, and no plan on repotting for a while.
4inch diameter pot for reference. The plant is nice and compact unlike two others I bloomed which were very big for this species.

SBPq2wml.jpg
Has it bloomed before? Am I alone in thinking It looks like armeniacum? Wondering what medium you have it in...it’s a fantastic sweet plant any way it goes.

Has it bloomed before? Am I alone in thinking It looks like armeniacum? Wondering what medium you have it in...it’s a fantastic sweet plant any way it goes.

Both species have very similar appearance at a first glance, narrow long leaves with busy markings.
However, they do look quite different.
I'll post a picture showing both. Guess which is which. ;)

2EZeXUOl.jpg

Ok I guess I can see the differences when they’re together but not when I look just at your plant. I think I haven’t seen enough micranthums. I don’t grow it...yet! Thank you for the learning opportunity.

The patterns on micranthum look much more organized and regular.
Another diagnostic tool is to simply run your finger along the edge of their leaves. I once read this somewhere and have done with on any micranthum or armeniacum plants I come acros, and I can tell you that it is true.
Micranthum feels smooth while armeniacum feels rough because armeniacum has tiny teeth along the edge of its leaves. Nice little tip. ;)

Latest posts

Back