Mexipedium Xerophyticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is incredible. Your leaves are much darker than mine, mine are to light in colour I think and my plant just doesn't grow, it's sent out a rhizome that has been sitting still for 6 months and hasn't formed anything........I am starting to think it's not going to make it.

It basically looks healthy but not like yours. I might change the potting mix.

Sorry, I am not trying to hijack the thread but can you look at these photos and tell me what the problem might be? I have repotted this morning into perlite and small bark.........hopefully the plant will improve considering how much it cost me.........

DSCF3304.jpg

DSCF3305.jpg

DSCF3309.jpg

The mix you have shown looks like CHC, not bark. I have used this before for this plant and it didn't seem to like it much, being too wet and the salts seemed to build up too fast. Mine likes it much more in a free draining mix of bark, crushed oyster shell, a very small amount of sphagnum and perlite. I top dress regularly with dolomite lime and let the mix dry between waterings. Its settled in well now with 2 spikes on the way!

Gary

The mix you have shown looks like CHC, not bark. I have used this before for this plant and it didn't seem to like it much, being too wet and the salts seemed to build up too fast. Mine likes it much more in a free draining mix of bark, crushed oyster shell, a very small amount of sphagnum and perlite. I top dress regularly with dolomite lime and let the mix dry between waterings. Its settled in well now with 2 spikes on the way!

Gary

Thanks Gary, that is the mix I was using before this morning. I changed to bark and perlite. I am also thinking that Epsom Salts might be a good idea the next time I fertilise. It's funny though, all the Phrags I have flourish in coconut but not the Mexi........so I just have to treat it differently.

Do you think it can be saved ok?

I do supplement small amounts of epsom salts and liquid silicon to my feed every watering especially now summer is on its way and its seems to help with root growth and strengthening of the plant. I would keep the feed weak for now but treat the plant to root hormone like KLN regularly to see if you get any results or improvement for now. The roots look ok for a plant that size and if mine is anything to go by, they are not the fastest of plants so patience may be needed.

Good luck.

Gary
UK

That's a very strong looking plant Dot and the flowers always remind me of the french Fleur de Lys.

Dot that's one of the most crystalline white flowers I've seen for this species. Very nice!!

Mines been growing like a weed, but not blooming in a while. Maybe soon since older growths have been poking up a lot of new leaves lately.

Don't be afraid of light and heat for this species. I typically keep mine up near the vanda end of the GH.

I guess everyone grows this differently!

I have mine in a mix of CHC, diatomite & sponge rock. I water it once a week so it doesn't stay too wet. When I first got mine, I treated it like a Phrag and almost killed it, too much water. Now the mix I have it in drains well and stays moist but not wet.

Apparently light is different for everyone, also. Mine is growing bright, but is shaded by other plants around it. I would be very hesitant putting it in the kind of light Rick is growing his in.

My greenhouse has been going down to 55ºF at night and stays between 70 - 80 during the day now. I expect both those temperatures will rise as the Summer progresses, but the plant formed the spike and flowered under the 55/70 temperatures.

Bolero, I'm no expert, but looking at your plant, I'd say it has been overwatered and placed in too bright conditions. Personally, I'd cut back on the watering, place the plant in lower light, at least until it recovers, and use a little Epsom Salts.

Ok thanks guys, I have been growing mine like a phrag over summer but I hear they take a lot of water then. I have moved it so it's sitting on its own in fairly bright like but less than it had before. I will try the epsom salts for the next few weeks and keep the temperature a little higher I think (so far about 52F since winter started coming).

Thanks everyone, your advice has been invaluable.

The color of your plant was similar to mine. My plant is much greener now after giving it a liberal sprinkling of dolemite and some epsom salts every two weeks. It has returned to the color of Dot's plant.

The color of your plant was similar to mine. My plant is much greener now after giving it a liberal sprinkling of dolemite and some epsom salts every two weeks. It has returned to the color of Dot's plant.

Every 2 weeks for how long??? How much would you put in a gallon of water?

Latest posts

Back