Mexipedium Xerophyticum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
‘Oaxaca’ -- from Fox Valley several years ago. It's growing nicely.

Mex_xerophyticum-2011.jpg

Mex_xerophyticum-plant-2011.jpg

Awesome looking flower!
The few I have seen in private collection just sit there
any advise on how to make them wake up?
They are in shallow pans with a lava rock base and large bark mix on top
in a GH with lots of sun, humidity and love!
Jim

Awesome looking flower!
The few I have seen in private collection just sit there
any advise on how to make them wake up?
They are in shallow pans with a lava rock base and large bark mix on top
in a GH with lots of sun, humidity and love!
Jim
I'm growing mine bright, but with only dappled sun. Nights down to about 55ºF, days not less than about 70ºF. Lots of humidity (60 - 90%) in the greenhouse, and it gets watered once a week (although in the summer, it may get more -- I'll have to see how the greenhouse does in the summer).

I know a lot of people treat these the same as Phrags, with lots of water. Although mine is in my Phrag mix (diatomite, sponge rock and CHC), the leaves are very succulent. Succulent to me means they store a lot of water and so don't need/want as much as plants that have thin leaves. I almost killed my plant when I first got it by overwatering.

Great plant and great growing Dot. I acquired a seven growth plant last year and the medium, watering and habitat are almost identical to yours. I don't overwater but keep damp. Its just thrown up 2 spikes so shouldn't be long before I see the results which I hope are somewhere as good as yours!

Gary
UK:clap:

Our plants must be very closely related. Mine is from Tom a few years ago also, but looks like crap compared to your plant! My plant is a much lighter green, almost a yellow green and has done just about nothing in 2-3 years. Hopefully I can get it to do something now that I have my humidity problem solved and am fertilizing with the right things.

Our plants must be very closely related. Mine is from Tom a few years ago also, but looks like crap compared to your plant! My plant is a much lighter green, almost a yellow green and has done just about nothing in 2-3 years. Hopefully I can get it to do something now that I have my humidity problem solved and am fertilizing with the right things.
I'm not an expert, but I wonder if you are giving your plant too much light. I used to grow mine under lights in the house, and now in the greenhouse it is quite sheltered from the sun.

very nice. mine was bright under lights but from long timer rather than very bright spot and was underneath a dome for a while (humidity). think the third flower is open now

I'm not an expert, but I wonder if you are giving your plant too much light. I used to grow mine under lights in the house, and now in the greenhouse it is quite sheltered from the sun.

It's growing with all my other Paphs and Phrag, none of which are showing any signs of too much light. Maybe it will green up as the magnesium starts to take effect. We will see.

It's growing with all my other Paphs and Phrag, none of which are showing any signs of too much light. Maybe it will green up as the magnesium starts to take effect. We will see.
Hmmm -- I'm growing my Phrags and Multifloral Paphs very bright. The Mex light is somewhere between the mottled-leaf Paphs and the Phrags -- probably a little closer to the mottled-leaves.

Beautiful plant and the photography is amazing.

I need a mexipedium (and a better camera and photography setup too).

Wow! Beautiful flowers! What type of lens do you use to photograph such small flowers and details!

Paphman910

Latest posts

Back