Merry Christmas from Ida and Amaryllis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Popping up to smile after a farmer cleared the over brush!

AmaLYC.jpg

Hippeastrum have hollow stems and Amy. has a solid stem. You have to
cut the stem to find out. I assume this is a native not a hybrid of the two.
It'll be interesting to find out which it is when the blooms fade. I prefer
Hipps., but Amys usually have a brighter color.

Is this beauty an Amy. or an Hippeastrum?
Yes they are. Both grow in the exact same location naturally! And both bloom at the same time. Wonder if they share pollinators?
I would name it Hippeastrum.
The genus Amaryllis was founded by Carl von Linne with wider borders and Hippeastrum was part of this genus. In the late 20th century the genus was splitted in two separate genera - Amaryllis and Hippeastrum. Amaryllis with two species (A. belladonna and A. paradisicola) native in South Africa, Hippeastrum native in Middle and South America.
Photographed in the wild together with Ida or Lycaste it can only be Hippestrum spec.

Yes.....of the internet !!:D

I too have a PhD from the University of Google :D

This picture is truly amazing. I'm packing up and moving somewhere tropical!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

GuRu, you think this is a species Hippeastrum...insigne, maybe? I have
two species Hipps. and neither one looks like this one. I'll be interested to
know for sure when he cuts the stem.

GuRu, you think this is a species Hippeastrum...insigne, maybe? I have two species Hipps. and neither one looks like this one. I'll be interested to know for sure when he cuts the stem.
Abax, I'm convinced and sure - this can only be Hippeastrum spec. Please keep in mind, the genus Hippeastrum comprises about 90 !! species.
You will find all names here Hippeastrum species
Photos of some of the species are here Hippeastrum species A-O and here Hippeastrum species P-Z
Due to the photo it might be H. puniceum which is similar to H. striatum and H. petiolatum but I tend to H. spec. - with this I stay on the safe side

Latest posts

Back